Author Topic: ancestral home  (Read 2925 times)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: ancestral home
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ozzie,

I have just replied to your PM.

it would still be interesting to be able to visit the sites using a GPS when I am in Manchester next year.

Do you know about the Godfrey Map company?  http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/
They produce reproduction maps of detailed areas very cheaply (but don't have images online), with a short history of the area on the back. I think the one you would want for this area is "Lancashire Sheet 96.15 Blackley & Lower Crumpsall 1915". 

:) Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 September 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
I have just come across your posts on 'Ancestral Home'.  It took my attention because I was also looking for Crawshaw Fold in Crumpsall.  Although none of the Christian names match with your family, my Scholes family also lived in Crawshaw Fold in the 1880s.  I'm sure they must have been related in some way.  My 3rd great-grandfather was Edward married to Betty.  Their son was Edward Richard married to Mary Hazeldine and their son was also Edward.  My 2nd great-grandfather was another son Edwin married to Mary Hazeldine.
If you are still on Roots, is there a connection?
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 September 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
You are correct in that in 1851 they lived in Crawshaw Fold, which was a lane, in Crumpsall.
This was when Crumpsall was in the country - it isn't now and Crawshaw Fold is no longer there.
If you Google it you find references but you wont find it on any map.
Rog

Shown on this map as well https://maps.nls.uk/view/102344057#zoom=5&lat=2515&lon=6630&layers=BT

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk