Author Topic: Allen family  (Read 24179 times)

Offline cornishmj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Allen family
« Reply #45 on: Monday 15 December 08 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Thank you for your hard work in finding this information for me.  It is very interesting and I now feel that I have a family.

Did you manage to trace the Pearce family back further?

Can you advise me on how to find out whether any one from the families involved in mine are still alive or not.

Margaret :)

Offline cornishmj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Dear All

GREAT NEWS  Thanks to the 1911 census being released, I have found my dads family ;D.  I have also found out that his name was Frank Allen Cope, his mother and father were married for 10 years in 1911 so he was not illegitimate.  He also had 2 brothers  John and Alfred.   His father John is listed as a coachman.  I have also found out that his dad John, was coachman to Baron Farquhar who lived in Belgravia, later in Shaw House, Newbury.  I have found My dads address at the time in Lyall Mews, Eaton Place, Belgravia.  The Farquhars lived in Eaton Place, Belgravia.  Frank, My Dad was born in Speenhamland, before the family moved to London.

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me get this far.  I cannot thank you all enough.  My life has been turned around. Until recently I knew nothing of my family background.

Regards and best wishes
Margaret ;D

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 13 January 09 16:58 GMT (UK) »

Delighted for you Margaret   :D    Wonderful news   :D
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline cornishmj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 14 January 09 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

This is a longshot, but does anyone have any details, or ideas where I can get details for a photographer in Newbury in the late 1800s or early 1900s.  The name of the company is C Hawker, Portrait and Landscape Photographer  from 84 Northbrook Street, Newbury.  I have some old photographs with their name on the back.  I think the people in them are Franks family. I would be interested to find out more about the photos if it is at all possible.  I have looked up the name on the internet but to no avail.  I think the premises is now part of New Look.

Thanks
Margaret

Offline cornishmj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 10 September 09 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hi All

After some long hard searching, I have finally found some information regarding the Allen family.  (Not the information I was looking for, but nevertheless some information.)  I have also found some living relations who have been in touch with me.  I am a little confused tho, as to who is related to who,  can anyone tell me, what the relationship to me is.  I have been contacted by someone who is the 2x great nephew of the wife of great grandfathers 1st cousin.  Neither of us can work out what we would be called in relation to each other.

Thanks Margaret

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 September 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
This is a longshot, but does anyone have any details, or ideas where I can get details for a photographer in Newbury in the late 1800s or early 1900s.  The name of the company is C Hawker, Portrait and Landscape Photographer  from 84 Northbrook Street, Newbury.  I have some old photographs with their name on the back.  I think the people in them are Franks family. I would be interested to find out more about the photos if it is at all possible.  I have looked up the name on the internet but to no avail.  I think the premises is now part of New Look.

Charles Hawker and his son Charles Adrian Hawker ran a photography business for decades - there are many of their photographs around. Adrian was a town councillor, mayor etc., in other words they ran a well known local business. There was a picture of their premises for sale on ebay recently (may still be available). But there is no way to identify the subjects from any business records.

Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 12 September 09 16:10 BST (UK) »
can anyone tell me, what the relationship to me is.  I have been contacted by someone who is the 2x great nephew of the wife of great grandfathers 1st cousin.  Neither of us can work out what we would be called in relation to each other.

Hi Margaret

If he is related to the wife of any of your relatives, he is no direct relation to you! (unless the wife is related in some other way)

I think I have this right, no doubt someone will tell me if I don't  ;)

Your greatgrandfather's 1st cousin is your 1st cousin 3 times removed. 

If your contact had been the 2xgtnephew to your gtgrandfather's first cousin, instead of 2xgtnephew to his wife, then your contact and you would have shared the same 3xgtgrandfather and your contact would be your 4th cousin.

But he's not!  He's just a relation to the wife of your 1st cousin 3 times removed.

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK