Author Topic: Have you visited the Family Home ?  (Read 19749 times)

Offline rover

• RootsChat Member
  • Life is a journey, not a guided tour
    • View Profile
Re: HAVE YOU VISITED THE FAMILY HOME ?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 03 April 05 05:24 BST (UK) »
My grandmother  (paternal side) and her family came from the City of Floriana in Malta. Just outside Valletta.

I went for a visit there in 1999 and spent two months. Spent many days walking around the streets and parks of this old town.  Just about every day I visited the Parish of St Publius where all of them were baptised and married.

I really fell in love with the place. Managed to find 4 very old cousins of my father who were close to 90 yrs of age. None of them knew me. Showed them photos of my parents and instanly recognized them They made me very welcome.

Photo copied a few of their old family photos. I had a few tears when I had to walk away from the place to go back to my country.  Visited some of the family burial plots and obtained records from the cemetery. 
Isle of Wight :-  Walker ~  Mursell ~ Whelan ~ Coxhead ~ Silsbury
Berks :-  Upton ~ Cannon ~ Gleed ~ Coxhead ~
Hamps :-  Loader ~ Kibby / Kebby ~  
Liverpool :-   Branson ~
London :-  Walker ~ Hood ~ Loader ~ Coxhead
England :-  Cook ~ McAuliffe ~ Herbert
Wales Glamorgan :-  Phillips ~ Poustie ~
Scotland :-  Poustie ~ Telford ~ Telfer ~
Malta :-   Bartolo ~ Sultana ~ Herbert ~ Cook ~ Casha

Worldwide :-  Poustie ~ Pousty ~ Coxhead.

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 April 05 05:22 BST (UK) »
FB

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 April 05 23:06 BST (UK) »
  :'( :'( :'(

My most moving visit was to the town of Swinsford in County Mayo, Ireland, the family home of my Dunn family.

Like thousands of others during the Famine years, they were forced to leave their beloved country and settle elsewhere (which event was known as the 'White Martyrdom'), and their suffering would have been immense.

As I walked through the town and the graveyard, and later over Swinford Bridge and the River Moy, I tried to imagine their plight back then,and was filled with a great sadness.

They certainly wouldn't recognise the happy, vibrant, affluent Ireland of today.

:'( :'( :'(
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Rebecca Steele

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 April 05 13:27 BST (UK) »
Last year I visited a few of the areas where my ancestors came from, and was not very successful in finding their homes :(

I think I just assumed that I'd be able to find their houses straight away!

Since then, I have studied the areas more (on the internet), so when I get time, hopefully this year, I'll be able to visit the areas again, and hopefully be able to find their homes!

Morgan - Herefordshire, Worcestershire * Bullock - Worcestershire * Taylor - Gloucestershire, Worcestershire * Peverill/all/ell - Middlesex, Brighton, Essex * Knee - Gloucestershire, London area * Brenan - Any area * Steele - Dorset<br /><br />Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 April 05 15:53 BST (UK) »
Yes most of my family's homes are gone - went to London to see one area.  Looked for where Prospect Cottages had been, not much of a prospect even in those days - over looking a vast rail complex.

But I actually visited where my great great grandfather had lived, unknowingly, last year.  He moved from Nottingham to Bolton in the 1840's and lived in a Model Village called Barrow Bridge.  I only found that out a few weeks ago.  As a child I visited this Village many times.  It is lovely.  I was so thrilled to find at least one of my family had lived in a decent house in a lovely place (instead of a two up, two down millhouse).

Going back to look at it again this year. 

Now my wish is to learn how to put photos on this page!!!! Argh!!!!

Frances
FB

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 April 05 18:22 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)

Press the reply button, and click on Additional Options below the text window - this should offer you a browse button showing the files where your pictures are kept, click on the one you want, then post your reply.

Allowed file types: txt, jpg, jpeg, gif, pdf, mpg, png, ged
Maximum attachment size allowed: 300 KB

;) ;)

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline YukonHall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 April 05 06:29 BST (UK) »
Can it be this simple?
FB

Offline RMG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 17 April 05 06:43 BST (UK) »
Can it be this simple?

Something seems to have gone wrong with your picture. It is showing up as 0 bytes.

As far as the original family home is concerned I was lucky enough to grow up in the area where my ancestors lived. When searching through documents it makes it easy to pick the right people because I know the area so well. My mother still lives in the next village to the one that my immediate family lived in for over 300 years.
My email address is not working sorry
Gibson,Finney and Petcher from Barlestone/Market Bosworth areas.

Offline DebbieDee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hepzibah Annie Burge 1887-1969
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 14 May 05 16:03 BST (UK) »
So far I haven't had much luck finding 'family homes'.  My husband is getting quite fed up of being dragged out on a Sunday afternoon to see what invariably turns out to be a long ago demolished slum dwelling.  And then there's the 'well as we're in the area do you mind if we look in the local graveyard??!'.  :-[ 

Well now thanks to the 1851 census and a single marriage certificate I may finally give hubby a pleasant weekend to look forward to  :)  Just found my 4xgreat grandfather (a Lic. Victualler) living at 37 Daniel Street, Bathwick which turns out to be a pub built in late 18th century!  Here's a picture and description which I think sounds lovely!

http://www.greatbathpubcrawl.com/pubs.php?id=83

I won't be sampling the beer though, as I think I'd better drive next time  ;D

Debbie