Author Topic: 'unknown' father discovered  (Read 10386 times)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
'unknown' father discovered
« on: Sunday 07 December 08 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I have discovered the name of my Great Grandmother's father.  She, Alice, was born to Jane Tubb in 1833 in Hungerford Union and the father was Joseph Bint of Shefford Woodlands, Berkshire.  He was adjudged to be the father and ordered to pay costs of lying in and maintenance by the Overseers.

I have found  families by the name of Bint in Hungerford on IGI but no Joseph.  Can anyone help, please?  Jane Tubb went on to have two further illegitimate daughters of which I can find nothing as the Overseer's papers stop at 1834.

It appears that Jane never married.  Anything further would be appreciated,
Thank you,
Abiam

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 'unknown' father discovered
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 December 08 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I suppose you have the 41 census details,but in case you havent

Charles Tubb 55 ag lab
Elizabeth 50
Jane 28
Alice 7
Sarah 5 or 5mths
all born in county
Smitham Bridge Hungerford Union
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 December 08 12:43 GMT (UK) »
I have enquired about this address before.  The parents of Jane lived at Smitham Bridge for many years.  It was on the '41 census that I found 'Hungerford Union, Smitham Bridge'.  I think there must have been housing as well as on the '61 the address is just Smitham Bridge.
I hope they weren't all in the Union for 20+ years!
Thank you,
Abiam

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 December 08 13:48 GMT (UK) »
The Union also served as the local hospital for the poor and so it was possibly no more than a temporary visit for the birth of the child.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 December 08 19:00 GMT (UK) »
I have enquired about this address before.  The parents of Jane lived at Smitham Bridge for many years.  It was on the '41 census that I found 'Hungerford Union, Smitham Bridge'.  I think there must have been housing as well as on the '61 the address is just Smitham Bridge.
I hope they weren't all in the Union for 20+ years!
I'm not sure where Smitham Bridge is/was but Smitham Bridge St today is on the other side of town from where the workhouse was (Park St).  Hungerford Union could refer to the area, not necessarily the workhouse itself.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 December 08 23:03 GMT (UK) »
That makes a lot of sense.  It would seem to just be a reference which says that the overseers of Hungerford Union were ordering the father to pay lying in and maintenance costs.  This is what one would normally expect.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 December 08 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Free BMD has a marriage:

June quarter 1841 Hungerford Joseph Bint and Sarah Hayes

I think this must be him
1851 HO107; Piece: 1685; Folio: 493; Page: 6

Church Speen Berkshire

Joeshy Bint head maried 39 yrs ag lab b Hants .Whitchurch
Sarah wife 34 yrs b Berks Lambourne
Ann 8 yrs b Shefford
Mary 6 yrs b Shefford
Cathleen 3 yrs b Shefford
William 1 month b Shefford
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 December 08 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heywood, thank you,
In 1851 Alice was 17 and Jane's other daughters were Sarah 14 and Elizabeth 7.   So hopefully Joseph Bint didn't father them as all his children with his wife Sarah were all born within their marriage, 1841. And he was quite occupied there!

I suppose it means buying certificates if I want to find out who their Fathers were!  I am not keen to spend money on these as they are 'twigs' on my father's tree.  if the lottery comes up they will be first on the list!

I don't suppose anyone has details of the Hungerford Union after 1834 especialy 1836 and 1844?

Thank you, Davd. 
I imagine Jane was in the hospital part of Hungerford Union when she had Alice.
The address on the 1841 census says Smith Bridge Hungerford Union looking further on FindMyPast it say Registration District Hungerford Union so that makes more sense.

Just an aside - This family are found on the censuses as Tubb, Jubb and Tabb! ;D
Regards,
Abiam

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 December 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
I don't suppose anyone has details of the Hungerford Union after 1834 especialy 1836 and 1844?
www.workhouses.org.uk has the basic information - such as the constituent parishes; when the workhouse was built (1847); and what was in use before (old parish houses at Lambourn and in Charnham St).

It also shows what related documents the BRO hold - which includes the Guardians minute books as far back as 1835 (ie to the year the Union was founded).

Some later (1866-1917) records have been transcribed by Eureka and are available from them or from Berks FHS (www.berksfhs.org.uk).

The Victoria County History will give a general history of each constituent parish.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk