Author Topic: Beames, Pritchard, Johnson  (Read 11552 times)

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Beames, Pritchard, Johnson
« on: Monday 08 December 08 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace information regarding Clarissa Foxwell Beames b abt 1825 not sure where (London? Wiltshire?) England who married Peter Johnson 12/02/1843 in Adelaide, South Australia. Clarissa d 29 Aug 1897.

I think her father may be James Beames.  Trying to locate a record for his wife and children.

Shipping records show:
Fairlie left London 04/04/1840
Beames, John’s 5 children George, James, Emma, 2 sons.
Beames James, wife Clarissa nee Foxwell
- however a booklet written for a Johnson family reunion states father James Beames; daughter Clarissa Foxwell Beames and sons George and James immigrating to Australia on the Fairlie.

Any help would be appreciated - Clarissa Foxwell Johnson (nee Beames) married Henry Pritchard 30 Dec 1863 Trinity Church Adelaide - second marriages for both.  Clarissa & Peter Johnson had 3 children - Henry and Clarissa had 2 children.
Aileen
Pritchard, Hobbs, Hicks, Verner, Scott, Davis

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Beames, Pritchard, Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 December 08 20:57 GMT (UK) »
This is  the information on  the  index (note mispelling on  the index)
Groom: PROTCHARD Henry aged 41 father John Protchard
Bride: JOHNSON Clarrissa aged 40 father James BEAMES
30/12/1863  Trinity Church [Adelaide] Book/Page: 56/62

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 December 08 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply - possibly the transcription of the shipping record was incorrect. I can't seem to find what part of England she originated from.
Aileen

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 December 08 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Eileen read the blurb on Di Cummings website about the records
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/BoundforSouthAustralia.htm

Di's transcription was taken from the newspapers of the day.

There is unfortunately only  submitted records of Clarissa's birth in IGI - I always treat with caution.  One record has her born 1823 and the other 1825...this looks as though her birth dates were estimated from date of 2nd marriage and her death registration.  One submitted record has her born London and one Wiltshire.

Her first marriage in 1843 shows her age as MI and there is a symbol E in the reg...

E. *A possible clerical error appears which was not amended by the extractors such as:
*  End of the month confusion such as 31 Sep 1890
*  An indefinite date such as when the date stated in the date box differs from the certified date at the bottom of the registration. Usually the earlier date was entered.

BISA records her as the 2nd wife of Henry PRITCHARD, born 1825 Wiltshire, England.  This is probably submitted information as well.

Was the booklet assembled in England or Australia? I wonder if parish records have been sighted?

Just a couple of random thoughts.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the reply.  I have visited Di Cummings website a lot - she has done an amazing amount of work and the information is excellent.

One would think that Foxwell must be a family name and I am thinking that Clarissa's mother could have been a Foxwell.  I am not sure where to look for further information.

The book I referred to is a a collection of stories about Peter Johnson's descendants.  The committee collating all the information called it Johnson Jottings. In it they state that Clarissa was born in about 1825 in London, England and came to South Australia with her father, James and two brothers, George & James, in 1840 aboard the Fairlie.  On arrival she was registered as a sick and destitute immigrant and received relief for at least a month after arrival. It is believed that Clarissa suffered from violent sea-sickness for the entire voyage from England. 

This book is not meant to be a reference book but just a collection of stories for family members.  It is  certainly interesting to read especially when there are family links.
Aileen

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the reply.  I have visited Di Cummings website a lot - she has done an amazing amount of work and the information is excellent.

One would think that Foxwell must be a family name and I am thinking that Clarissa's mother could have been a Foxwell.  I am not sure where to look for further information.

The book I referred to is a a collection of stories about Peter Johnson's descendants.  The committee collating all the information called it Johnson Jottings. In it they state that Clarissa was born in about 1825 in London, England and came to South Australia with her father, James and two brothers, George & James, in 1840 aboard the Fairlie.  On arrival she was registered as a sick and destitute immigrant and received relief for at least a month after arrival. It is believed that Clarissa suffered from violent sea-sickness for the entire voyage from England. 

This book is not meant to be a reference book but just a collection of stories for family members.  It is  certainly interesting to read especially when there are family links.
Aileen

BEAMES James, wife, Clarissa Foxwell, Geo, Jas, Em, 2 sons arrived 1840-07-07 on Fairlie from London 1840-04-04 - from from Passengers List South Australia - possibly it was James Beames wife plus 6 children!

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Aileen

BEAMES James, wife, Clarissa Foxwell, Geo, Jas, Em, 2 sons arrived 1840-07-07 on Fairlie from London 1840-04-04 - from from Passengers List South Australia - possibly it was James Beames wife plus 6 children!
I wonder if the following are all children of James Beames
BEAMES George married PAINTER Susannah on 1848-09-02
JOHNSON Peter married BEAMES Clarissa Foxwell on 1843-02-12
WILLIAMS John married BEAMES Emma on 1849-10-09

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Aileen on the 1st marriage for Clarissa no father is recorded and the 2nd marriage James BEAMES is listed as father.   I checked this initially but didn't detail any of the info I felt I was duplicating information.

I am unable to check the others for you as I am having problems with the Marriage Index CD. 

Marriages regs  in the 1840's will not show parents' names
Marriage info  1842-1856
    * Date and Place of Marriage
    * Bride and Bridegrooms Names, Ages and Rank
    * Signatures and Description
    * Name of Clergyman

IGI does not show a marriage of James BEAMES to a FOXWELL.

A possible death for James...only two James BEAMES on the SA indexes to 1915.

BEAMES James
2 May 1876   75 years  Status Not known  Relative not recorded
Residence Nr Crafers  Death Place Nr Crafers   Ade 73/143

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aileen18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your help