Author Topic: Richard Bithell  (Read 26278 times)

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Bithell
« Reply #36 on: Friday 03 February 23 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheshiregirl2023, Yes Richard is my gggg grandad. Descent through son William, grandson Thomas, great grandaughter Sarah Ann Bithell (my Grandmother). Think that makes us 3rd cousins! I'm also descended from Richard's sister Mary due to the marriage of second cousins. There is a lot of information re the family on www.familysearch.org (free site) added by myself and others. Just search for Richard Bithell. You said on one post Richard remarried in 1846. Can you confirm that? I did find a possible marriage in Liverpool in 1826 to Maria Boot.
Ray

Offline Cheshiregirl2023

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 03 February 23 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Am out and about at the mo, doing this on phone. Will check the info and reply properly later or tomorrow. Off the top of my head he remarried in 1846 in Liverpool to an Esther Maria Williams.

Offline Cheshiregirl2023

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 03 February 23 19:29 GMT (UK) »
So I did find a Richard Bethel married a Esther Maria Jones nee Williams on 25 May 1846 at St John's in Liverpool.
Richard is a flatman (which I expected) and a widow (expected as his wife Mary Jones died in 1824), his father Richard is a flatman (Richard's father was also called Richard). They married by Banns. Esther Maria is also a widow, her father's name is Thomas Williams so her birth name must be Esther Maria Williams. There is a marriage for an Esther Maria Williams marrying a John Jones on 14 May 1830 so this must be her.

The other interesting bit is that in 1841 Richard is living with a lady called Esther Morgan. The name Morgan is pretty hard to read but I believe this could be Esther whom he later marries.

Another clue is that on his arrival in Tasmanian he gives his wife's name as Maria, which I think is Esther Maria.

Would love to know your thoughts. Am also intrigued on what other research you may have on Richard.

Thank you third cousin.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 04 February 23 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cheshiregirl2023, The Richard who married Maria Boot in Liverpool in 1826 was also a flatman. I wonder if Richard married 3 times? Mary Jones in 1820, Maria Boot in 1826, Esther Maria Jones (nee Williams) in 1846. I haven't been able to find an Esther or Maria Bithell in the 1851 census when Richard was in prison in Portland. I have sent you a pm. Ray