Author Topic: Francis Black  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Black
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 December 08 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Janet was b. Kirkcudbright. Parents - Samuel Kirkpatrick (fireman in Steam ships) and Annie - who has a maiden surname that I can't quite make out Bierkayson or Birkayer. They married Liverpool in June 1877

The  FreeBMD Marriage index also seems to have problems with Annie's surname. It's down  twice - once as Birkmyre.

I'll see if I can find anything about her on the earlier censuses.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 December 08 11:30 GMT (UK) »

Mill Burn Street, Kirkcudbright
871 ED 4 Page 15

Thomas Kellaghan, 60, general labourer,
Matthew, brother, 58, wood forester
John, brother, 55, dairyman
Ellen, sister, 40, housekeeper,
Ann Birkmyre, niece, 15
Ellen Birkmyre, niece, 13, app. dress maker,
William Birkmyre, nephew, 11, scholar

All b. Kirkcudbright

I wonder what the connection is - relatives or friends to Dorothea or James.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 11 December 08 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Can't yet find a connection to the Birkmyre family apart from a posible friendship. Annie and Dorothea are roughly the same age.

I've found a couple of baptisms on the IGI (extracted) . Parents are  William Birkmyre and Helen Calloghan/Callaghan. So the 1861 look like the family of this Helen.

:-\

Gadget 

Offline Scully2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 11 December 08 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
Just got in from work.  Thank you so much for the information you have found, I do appreciate it.  I too wondered who Annie was & thought maybe a cousin or friend.  It's good to have a possible with Dorothea with the surname Burns.
I'm hoping in the new year to have some pennies to order some certs.
I apparently made a mistake in saying Francis was born Coatbridge, he was born in Dumfries.  My daughter is going to look through the records she has as she says she traced the young boy, Charles McInally, staying with family in 1841.  She tells me she has seen that Francis was present at his grandfather's death & that he was called James & I think this is where she thought the James in 51 was his grandfather.  We believe the family originated from Ireland & settled in Scotland but we will have to get certs to confirm this.
I'm going to read through your replies again when I've had a cuppa but again, thank you sincerely for all your help.
Kind regards,
Tracey.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 December 08 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tracey

Just before I go off to think about cooking  :)

Have either you or your daughter done anything about the Catherine on the 1851 - she could be Francis's mother  :-\

I'll ahve another look for her after supper

Gadget

Offline Scully2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 December 08 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Great minds think alike, just thinking of eating but hate cooking.
Catherine as Francis' mother was our thinking too so I'm going to look into that later.  My daughter has done a lot on the family history in the past but she hasn't had much time the last 18 months after the arrival of her second son & she's been busy getting all her information in order so we can make sense of it all.  We have a lot on our Scully side but little on the Blacks.
Enjoy your tea.
Kind regards,
Tracey.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 11 December 08 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Interesting entry on the 1841. It might not be the correct one but ....

King Street, Castle Douglas, Kelton
Parish - 869 ED 2a Page 8

John Black, 64, ag lab
Catherine, 60
Margaret, 25
Catherine, 20
Margaret, 7

All b. Kirkcudbrightshire

Note that in  the 1841, the ages were rounded down into 5 year age bands for those over 15. Thus 15= 15-19; 20= 20-24; 25= 25-29; etc.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 December 08 00:46 GMT (UK) »
  She tells me she has seen that Francis was present at his grandfather's death & that he was called James & I think this is where she thought the James in 51 was his grandfather.

Hi Tracey

Where and when did James senior die?  I'm sure I looked for him on Scotland's People  :-\

Gadget

Offline Scully2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 13 December 08 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget,
I spoke to my daughter & she's since been looking for her records of James Black without luck but is still searching.  She found the information about James' death on Scotland's People a good while ago & the date for his death was 26/05/1860 at Castle Douglas & Francis, grandson, was present at death.  The place of birth for James was stated as, County Monaghan, Ireland abt. 1786.
My daughter had found a marriage for a James Black to a Catherine Cozbie in 1842 in Port William, maybe possibles for Francis' parents, just going on the possibility that Catherine was his mother.
Thank you again for your interest & help on this.  I'll get back to you if I find anything concrete or possible.
Kind regards,
Tracey.