Author Topic: Cannybank Farm, Hutton  (Read 7490 times)

Offline michaeljt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cannybank Farm, Hutton
« on: Thursday 11 December 08 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks, I am from Australia, and I have just recently located my Great,Great Grandfathers birth certificate. Thomas Thompson, son of Matthew and Dorothy nee Steele b.27 Feb 1833.
According to the 1841 Census, Matthew & Dorothy had 8 children up to that time. On both the Birth record and the Census, they lived on/at Cannybank or Canny Bank Farm. I would like to know if there are any family still in the area and if anyone has any details about Cannybank farm.
Thanks. Michael
Hutton, Berwickshire, Scotland. Thompson
Moidart, Invernessshire, Scotland. McDonald, McNeil

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cannybank Farm, Hutton
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 December 08 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,
Welcome! I hope you are able to make progress with your search.
I have found a map showing Canny Bank farm and will send you the details in a pm.
I don't have any details about the family but someone may be able to help you with that.
Best wishes,
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline michaeljt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 December 08 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rae, wow, thanks for that much appreciated.
Michael

Offline excel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 December 08 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael,
www.stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/sas/sas.asp?action=public
This is a free resource. If you enter Berwickshire, then Hutton onto the form on this website you will find a fantastic report about Hutton from 1791 to 1845. This is from the Statistical Accounts of Scotland. 
Enjoy the read.
Rae
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cline: Ireland and Berwick on Twieed
Collin: Eyemouth
Clyne: Ireland, Berwickshire, Northumberland
Barns, Barnes: Fife
Walker: Edinburgh & Stirling
Laing, Wilson, Forrest, Forrester, Colven, Rae, Cowe, Buglass, Johnson, Wilson, Thorburn, Darling, Broomfield, : Berwickshire
McRaw, Cameron, Taylor, Gould/Guild, McIntyre, Maxton, McDonald, Douglass : Perthshire
Cormack, Campbell, Sutherland, Doull: Caithness

Offline michaeljt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 December 08 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again Rae

Michael

Offline riverwhitadder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 October 10 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael, apologies that this is several years late!
A few weeks ago I was walking over some fields just west of Hutton village. This is some distance from any roads. Most of the fields are very large, as hedges have been ripped out to allow for mechanised farming. But I did discover a well preserved farm track with hedges intact on either side. On asking around, this track serviced a farmstead known as 'Cannybank'. I assume that it would have gone into Hutton village itself. All of the land around the village is owned by only two other three farmers whose farms extend over hundreds (if not thousands) of acres.
In recent times, a local man has built a new house in the village of Hutton and named it 'Cannybank', clearly retainign the link to the original.
I hope that helps. Roger

Offline michaeljt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 October 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hey Roger, fantastic, thanks for that. I was great to get an update on the area, actually anything is an update, as I not had the privilege of visiting the area yet. I've been watching Tony Robinson's programs on TV & Lost Gardens & often thought it would be great to get them to do something like that around 'Cannybank'. I wonder what connection the chap that built the house in town has to the farm.
I have not been able to get any info on Cannybank online, so I guess that will have to wait 'til I get to Hutton/Edinburgh.
Well, once again Roger, thanks again for taking the time to contact me, it is really appreciated.

Regards

Michael

Offline riverwhitadder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 October 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
I'm very glad that the message reached you, Michael.  Actually, I was speaking to the chap who built the new Cannybank house a few minutes ago and he said that he chose the name by looking at old maps of the area. I will post a few photos of the area on this site (though it might take me a little while to get organised). I'll also take a wander over to the old graveyard to see if there are any Thompsons or Steeles mentioned on the headstones. Many of the graves are very old and eroded, but some are still legible. Best wishes, Roger

Offline riverwhitadder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 October 10 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Michael. I wandered over to Hutton Kirkyard and took a look for 'Thompson' and 'Steele' on headstones. No success, but only about 30 or 40 percent of headstones are legible because they are very old and often eroded. I then went over to the 'new graveyard' which was opened in the first decade of the twentieth century. I found some evidence of the name Thompson and Steele there. I attach a few photos to this reply (and the next, there is a limit to the size of photos one can send). I also attach a photo of what I suspect is the area called Cannybank - it's the area of hedgerow in the background of the picture. Best wishes, Roger