Author Topic: Did your relative join mine  (Read 1238 times)

Offline tigces

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Did your relative join mine
« on: Thursday 11 December 08 20:36 GMT (UK) »
I often wonder about the vicars on wedding certificates is his family looking at his tree - so I thought I would list some of the names and where they practised to see if anyone would claim them - alternatively if you have a vicar in your family put down where and when he practised or put down some of the vicars on your family tree.

Colin P Cowley Kensington 1930
Henry W Williams Wesylan Chapel Islington Middleton 1875
Joseph Wallis St Aubert Stockwell Surrey 1873
H C Howell St Mary Church Paddington 1846
Jas J Bosward Wesleyan Methodist chapel Thrapston 1902
Walter Felce St Lawerence Bristol 1904

Offline littleclaire

• RootsChat Senior
  • Me!
    • View Profile
Re: Did your relative join mine
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 December 08 21:24 GMT (UK) »
None of yours are mine but..... I have some vicars

Charles Jones curate of church in Aberdare, Cardiff and then vicar in St Fagans in the second half of the 19th century
Henry Gray Baptist Minister Thornton Street Baptist (I think) Stranton, Hartlepool again in the latter half of the 19th century...

Claire
Bettington/Mattey (Herefordshire) Jones (Wales/Shropshire) Forsyth (Durham) Nicholls (Sedgeley) Wright (N Yorkshire) Hankinson (Lancashire) Wray (yorkshire) Gray (Alton Hampshire)
Rouse (Oxfordshire) Waterhouse (Leicestershire) Ironmonger (Leicestershire) Cruddace (Durham) Young (Durham/Northbld)
Price (Blackburn/Wales) Turnbull (Durham) Walker (Durham)
Williamson (Durham) Hughes (Wales Bangor) Wiseman (Suffolk)
Rawlings(Glos) Smart (Glos) Bettsworth (Hamps) Dalton(Yorks) Robinson (Yorks/Dur)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 December 08 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I have quite a few (probably spinning in their graves, since I don't go to church any more):

The Rev. William Lockwood Martin, mainly in Wales (Bettisfield and Berriew), latter part of the 19th century

The Rev Edmund Huband-Smith, married in London in 1867 and came to Australia, where he was vicar of a remote little country parish in New South Wales called Jerry's Plains.

Very Rev William Jephson, Ven. John Jephson, Ven. William Norreys Jephson, Rev. John Jephson, all in Ireland from 17th to 19th centuries.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 December 08 11:25 GMT (UK) »
Curiously, I have a Rector William Delves, in Catsford Sussex, who married my husband's ancestors, Henry Crouch and Sarah Smith, in 1819.  Henry and Sarah went on to have three daughters - Charlotte, in 1821, Caroline in 1824, and Matilda in 1825.  Later, in 1839, they all emigrated to Australia ...

... Where first Charlotte, and then Caroline (after Charlotte's early death) married a John Delves, who had sailed out with them!

My problem is ... Rector William married Mary Susan Bedingfield in 1820, and died in 1823, - and I can't see anything to indicate that they might have had children.  From the Church Officers listings (found thanks to a helpful posting here in RC), it seems William may have been the second William Delves to hold the position of Rector for Catsfield ... but I also can't find any family records to prove or disprove this.  I would love to find out whether William and John were related - especially since John is one of my infuriating brick walls!

Will also post this on the Sussex boards, incidentally  ;)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson