Author Topic: Little Fathaughs  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Cjeff

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Little Fathaughs
« on: Friday 12 December 08 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to locate a place called Little Fathaughs.  It is noted as being the residence of one of my ancestors in the early 1820's.  His name was John Laing and he was a forrester at said location according to his Grandson's christening record.  The christening was in St Andrews Lhanbryde.

Any help would be much appreciated.

C
Potts of Walker / Wallsend and Lanercost Cumberland

Offline lilun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nellie Grace Smith
    • View Profile
Re: Little Fathaughs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 December 08 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Only place I could find resembling Little Fathaughs is Littlehaugh Cottage Rothes - not far from Lhanbryde - but old maps only show from 1874 so possibly different name earlier?
Regards
Deb
Lawton Lancashire + Canada...Blackhall Scotland + USA...Haddow UK...Smith Queensland

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 December 08 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Interesting idea.

It is listed as Little Haugh in the 1841 census.

Where a place name of a place not in the parish is mentioned in a parish register, it's usual for the parish to be specified, so if Little Fathaughs is Little Haugh, one would have expected the St Andrews-Lhanbryd parish register to say, '... in Little Fathaughs in the parish of Rothes ...'
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline lilun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nellie Grace Smith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 December 08 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Confused - I will be
 think I understand but just thought I'd have a go  :)
Lawton Lancashire + Canada...Blackhall Scotland + USA...Haddow UK...Smith Queensland