Author Topic: Hampshire Brownings  (Read 3713 times)

Offline jen_maxsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hampshire Brownings
« on: Friday 12 December 08 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking for the marriage of a John Browning to Sarah ? before 1815.  It might be in South Stoneham but John was possibly born in Owlesbury.  He was born in about 1772.  His father was possibly called GRIFFITH OR GRIFFIN as this name has been passed down several generations.

He died in Durley in about 1860 but he moved there after the birth of his first known child.  He was a publican.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hampshire Brownings
« Reply #1 on: Friday 12 December 08 21:44 GMT (UK) »
A John Browning was baptised in Twyford 10 Oct 1775, parents Griffin & Mary Browning.

Not having much luck with a marriage.  What was the name of the first child that you know of and where did the baptism take place?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jen_maxsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 December 08 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The possible children that I know about are Charlotte b about 1816 who says on census born South Stoneham, and Griffith b about 1816.

Griffith  died about 1849 in South Stoneham district, and was married to an Amelia about 1836.  Their children were born Durley, Bishops Waltham, Bishop Stoke and later South Stoneham.

John & Sarah were both born in early 1770's so could possibly have married much earlier than 1815.  Sarah died in 1848 so again I do not know where she was born. 

John remarried a Amy Stoneadge in 1849 which is where I know his father's name probably begins with a G.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 December 08 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Charlotte was baptised 13 Oct 1813 in North Stoneham, Griffin 29 Mar 1816, also North Stoneham.

There is a baptism for an Ann on 4 Aug 1811 in North Stoneham, who may also be theirs.

There is a marriage of a John to a Sarah Hughes in 1811 in Kings Somborne, but they have children baptised there at the same time as John & Sarah have children in North Stoneham, so I think that unlikely.

I'm going round in circles on this one. :-\

Nell

Offline jen_maxsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 December 08 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for finding the baptisms of Charlotte and Griffin. not having them has annoyed me for a long time.  I only had circumstantial evidence of their parents, not proof.

There is a John Browning b North Stoneham in abot 1799 who I would like to know the parents of.

The baptism in 1775 in Twyford could be my John b 1772.  It does not seem far from Owlesbury. 

Have you any information on this Griffin & Mary marriage? and any siblings?

I've come across a Griffin married to Elizabeth with children around that date so there must be another Griffin born probably in the 1740's.

On the 41 census there is a Griffin/Griffith born around 1776 living in Sparsholt, with a Wlliam b 1806.  Sparsholt seems to be the source of the name Griffin as there seems to be a Griffin Browning there marrying in 1717

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Have you any information on this Griffin & Mary marriage?

Unfortunately not, only marriages between a Griffin & Elizabeth Soaper in 1769 in Hursley and another in 1793 between a Griffin & Elizabeth Buxey in 1793.  Unless there is an error in the 1769 marriage  :-\

There is a baptism in 1789 in North Stoneham for a John Browning, parents John & Elizabeth.  Can't immediately see on in 1799.  Another in 1793 in South Stoneham, parents John & Jane.

Siblings for the John born to Griffin & Mary Browning appear to be:
Elizabeth 21 Feb 1768 Hursley                                         
Richard  28 Sep 1769 Wickham
Thomas 14 Apr 1771 Wickham

Griffin Browning baptised 10 May 1772 in Sparsholt, parents William & Rachel.

Nell

Offline jen_maxsgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 December 08 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that

The Griffin & Mary siblings sound very interesting.  They seem quite separate feom the Griffin & Elizabeth family which goes from 1769 to 1786.

There must be some more Griffins out there.

The Griffith/Amelia marriage about 1836 is also a puzzle.
Their first child, John was born in 1836 and features in a family tree on ancestry, but with no parents.

Two of Griffins sons are in Wymering in 1861 with a James Stickley and Caroline who might be a sister for Amelia.

Offline geofff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 January 23 21:13 GMT (UK) »
In passing, I see Elizabeth, wife of Griffin Browning blacksmith of Hursley, Winchester was bequeathed £75 by her mother, Nanny Soper, widow of Winchester, in her 1784 will

Ann Newlyn (Nanny) of Herriard m.William Soper  of Nutley 26 Apr 1735, Axford?

I'd be interested in Griffin/Elizabeth's family (though appreciate it's may not be directly part of this thread?)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 January 23 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat

These appear to be Griffin & Elizabeth's children, all baptised in Hursley
Thomas bp 5 Jun 1769                                           
William bp 31 Aug 1770 
Ann bp 29 Nov 1772
Elizabeth bp 1 May 1774
James bpt 27 Apr 1777
Thomas bap 7 Nov 1779     
John bp 7 Mar 1784
Sarah bapt 5 Feb 1786

I'm not sure what else you already know.

Nell