Author Topic: SANDS / HOLLAND(S) - 1851 lookup, please  (Read 11724 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: SANDS / HOLLAND(S) - 1851 lookup, please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Charlston

I'm not sure if the Dallingtons registers are held locally, I always view them either on the Sussex Family History Group online database or by visiting the East Sussex Record Office at nearby Lewes.

I don't know whether anyone else knows any different?

If you get chance whilst in the Warbleton area, you could always pop into the Three Cups pub at Three Cups near Punnetts Town which was run by Hannah Oliver http://www.kerrysfamilyhistory.co.uk/html/hannah_oliver.html and family!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 20:01 BST (UK) »
It would be interesting to find the link between the Ticehurst Olivers and the Warbleton Olivers.  I have recently traced the Warbleton line back through Heathfield, Brede and back into the 1500s in Sedlescombe and it would be interesting to see whether the Ticehurst Olivers follow a line back there too.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Charlston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again Kerry,

I've just registered with the SFHG - looks like it may take up to a week for it to be actioned, so a bit of a delay there.  Thanks for the reference to the Three Cups - will def find and visit.  I've had a look at your site and there is a possibility that 'our' James Oliver could be a sibling to Hannah Oliver, it could make him approx 64-65yrs old when his son George married Louisa Lade.  Charlston  :)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 August 09 11:21 BST (UK) »
I've got that James marrying Sarah Christian at Bexhill in 1806 and on the 1841 at Bexhill with son, Jesse and daughter Sarah.

There is a marriage in 1797 at Ticehurst for a James Oliver and Ruth Roberts, and I presume he was born in Ticehurst??

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 August 09 11:23 BST (UK) »
On the SFHG baptism database there is a baptism at Ticehurst for George Oliver on 8 January 1817 to James and Ruth Oliver.

Could this be your George?

Kerry

Offline Charlston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 27 August 09 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again Kerry

It could be - trouble is all I have had to go on is a list of Warbleton marriages, Bodle Street marriages, baptisms and burials - which have been very useful as a start - but it sounds like I need to really 'investigate' the SFHG now.  I have asked for a copy of George and Louisa's marriage cert.

They certainly seemed to have moved round quite a lot - certainly re births/baptisms and marriages.  Luckily my grandfather (Fred Oliver) lived his adult life in Rye (Sussex), his father (Arthur 'Alf' lived in Edenbridge c the 1911 census).

The historian also included a list from the Tithe map entries and entries from Topographical Survey ref Olivers.  The earliest entry on the topographical survey is 'John 1574 of Dallington at death - will states of Warbleton and Dallington.  House called Skings, land to son William (p45/91).

You may have these already?

Thank you so much for your responses, very appreciated.  :-)  Charlston

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 August 09 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Charleston,
There is a bap. Emily Sands 11 May 1856 Bodle Street on IGI, mother Frances Sands. Could be a base born child since only mother is given, you'd need to see the entry. What place of worsiph was at Bodle Street?
Frances Sands might be dau. of John Sands and Lydia Pilbeam their marr 18/7/1834 Dallington. Frances bap. 22/2/1835.
John Sands maybe the son of John and Lucy Haisleden/Hazleden of Dallington bap 2/9/1804. Try 1841 and 1851 census also to see if you can find the details.
If you scroll through the messages I have a  Nisa/Eunice Oliver marrying into my Sands tree but I cant find any details on her. KerryB thinks there is a Walberton connection. As for Sands/Hollands this comes from an assoc . disc. by Stovepipe re Church Street/Chapel Row/Priors copttages which i now have further info on. I'll post this up on due course. Hope this is of some use. M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline M.Ann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 August 09 00:13 BST (UK) »
Ahhh! ::)
The Emily Sands married your George Oliver in 1856 so the Emily I describe as dau of Frances Sands cannot be the one in your tree since your Sands connection was for Georges wife. . So your answer may lie in obtaining the marriage cert. to find out more about this union, if you dont find a register entry.  There is an IGI entry for an Emily Sands bap heathfield 8/6/1834 which might fit. If this Emily is Oliver appears on the 1861 census, her birthplace may show as Heathfield. ( the 1851 wont be any good since the couple were not married at that time of course!). Otherwise,  I dunno!! M.Ann
Sussex families around Burwash and Heathfield:   Sands, Upfield, Haffendon, Isted and Langridge

Somerset - Bath: Hooper, Taunton: - Poole, Castle Carey: - Colley

Cardiff: - Hooper, Davies (please no Queries!!)

Surrey - Butler, Hersey- around Normandy, Woking

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 August 09 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again Kerry

It could be - trouble is all I have had to go on is a list of Warbleton marriages, Bodle Street marriages, baptisms and burials - which have been very useful as a start - but it sounds like I need to really 'investigate' the SFHG now.  I have asked for a copy of George and Louisa's marriage cert.

They certainly seemed to have moved round quite a lot - certainly re births/baptisms and marriages.  Luckily my grandfather (Fred Oliver) lived his adult life in Rye (Sussex), his father (Arthur 'Alf' lived in Edenbridge c the 1911 census).

The historian also included a list from the Tithe map entries and entries from Topographical Survey ref Olivers.  The earliest entry on the topographical survey is 'John 1574 of Dallington at death - will states of Warbleton and Dallington.  House called Skings, land to son William (p45/91).

You may have these already?

Thank you so much for your responses, very appreciated.  :-)  Charlston

Hi Charlston

As M.Ann says that marriage certificate is a good starting point.  As well as George's father's name it will give his occupation which then might help to track him down through the census records. 

The SFHG database when you get it, is brilliant, burials are now being added as well as baptisms and it opens up a whole load more opportunities.

No I've not seen the Topographical survey ref the Olivers at all.  There do seem to be a lot of Olivers around in Sussex and its hard knowing which lot is the right lot.  Sounds interesting that they were in Dallington and Warbleton that early, if they are not ancestors of my lot as I currently think, I wonder if there were links anyway and that would explain their constant movings around this part of East Sussex??  Hmmm

Kerry