Author Topic: Hardy/Maund  (Read 4286 times)

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Hardy/Maund
« on: Saturday 13 December 08 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Elizabeth Mary Cox Hardy married James Arton Maund on 28 December 1880 in The Chapel of Whittington, Worcester.

In the 1881 census James is with his parents and widowed brother in Worcester. Elizabeth is with her employer Dr Walsh  also in Worcester. She has her maiden name of Hardy in the census, perhaps her employer forgot.

Elizabeth was born in Bockhampton, Dorset in 1846

James was born in 1841 in Worcester. He is possibly the James Maund who died in Worcester in 1888.

I cannot find either of them after that. They do not appear in the 1891 or the 1901 census, this is why I am presuming James is the one who died in 1888. However I cannot find Elizabeth either.

Needless to say I have tried every possible variation of Elizabeth and Mary I can think of and also Maund and Hardy.

She could have remarried. I have tried possible Elizabeth Maund's and Hardy's and inserted the new name in the census, but to no avail.

There are several Elizabeth Maund's who died, but no Elizabeth Mary or Elizabeth Mary Cox Maund.

Elizabeth is my husband's great grandmother so I would like to find what happened to her. I have been trying for several years now with no result. If anybody could help me I would be very grateful

My thanks

Pelican

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Hardy/Maund
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 December 08 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pelican,

It might be worth checking that Worcester death in 1888, right age, right place..
You could ask them to check known details eg. wife's name if given, at the local register office (usually they will check free if you buy the cert) - or the GRO will check first for a £3 fee which is included in the cert price if it's the right one - then at least you would know that you only had Elizabeth to search for.

When was their youngest child born - to narrow down the search, is it possible they emigrated?

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 December 08 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for trying to help, Barbara, much appreciated.

I have Just, yes, Just, found someone who may be their child. Augustus George H Maund. Augusts was the name of Elizabeth's uncle and George was her father, the H could be Hardy - or it could be Horace or Herbert or Henry! James does not seem to have got a look in though, strange for a first son. His father was James.

The child was born in 1882, it will not take me much further, but it will give me a descendant if he is their son. Something we did not know before and will surprise the family, that is if it is.

My husband is descended from her elder son who was not James' child. 14 year age gap.

I have consulted both Ellis Island and Castle Garden for America, though not Canada yet. I have looked at most of the Australian and New Zealand records on line.

Thank you

Pelican

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 December 08 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Augustus doesn't seem to appear in 1891 census either, whether or not he's their child!

Will keep looking.  :-\

There's another one born in 1903, wonder if he's a descendant
Dec 1903   Worcester    6c   267   Maund    Augustus John J    

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Had not connected that one which is silly because as Augustus got married around then it is quite likely this Augustus John is his son. Thank you - well spotted Barbara,

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes but not the one you really want!  Haven't been able to find him.  Maybe they just went abroad for a while then came back.   :-\

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:50 GMT (UK) »
He turns up in 1901 though

1901 RG13/2781  Folio 91 Page 48
26 East St, Worcester

John Ballard  head m   48 Advertising Agent  Worcester
Elizabeth "     wife  m    49                               Dorset Dorchester
Augustus G Maund son(step) 18  "         "       Worcester
Minnie Ballard dau     16                                      "

But here's their marriage so not sure if right one:
Sep 1889 Worcester    6c 381
BALLARD    John     MAUND    Elizabeth Marian

Barbara 

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 14 December 08 23:57 GMT (UK) »
and in 1891 Augustus is surnamed Ballard

1891 RG12/2330 Folio 3 Page 1
2 Washington St, Worcester

John        Ballard head 35  News Advertising Agent  Worcester
Elizabeth       "     wife 39                  Dorchester
Augustus G    "     son   8  Scholar     Worcester
Ada A            "     dau   6     "                "

Offline Pelican

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 December 08 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Bless you, Barbara, this could have cracked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will send for the certificate for the marriage of John Ballard and Elizabeth Marian Maund. See what happens 

Thank you for all your help, I will certainly let you know what happens.

Pelican