Author Topic: 1861 census lookup - TUBBS  (Read 1053 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
1861 census lookup - TUBBS
« on: Monday 07 February 05 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I wonder if someone could look up the following family in the 1861 census for me:

John TUBBS (b. 1804 Witcham, Isle of Ely, Cambs) Farmer
Lucy Case TUBBS wife (b. 1810 Sculthorpe Norfolk)
Joseph John TUBBS son (b. 1841 Kennett Cambs)
Robert Frederick TUBBS son (b. 1844 Kennett Cambs)
Henry Ibberson TUBBS son (b. 1846 Kennett Cambs)
Alice Maria TUBBS dau (b. 1848 South Runcton Norfolk)

They were in Burnham Overy Norfolk for the 1851 and 1871 census returns. I am trying to figure out when the boys left for Australia as they are gone by the 1871 census.

Thanks so much for youe help  :)

Jenny Clark

Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census lookup - TUBBS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 February 05 16:13 GMT (UK) »
HI Jenny,

Here are your tubbs in 1861

John Tubbs 52  farmer of 100 acres employ 3men and 2boys
Born in Isle of Ely  Looks like he was dumb??

Lucy C Tubbs Wife 50  born Sculthorpe
Robert F Tubbs Son 16 born Kennet, Cam
Henry Tubbs son 14 born Kennet, Cam
Alice M Tubbs dau 12 born Kennet, Cam

Living Burnham Overy, Norfolk.

I have the 1841 for Cambridgeshire if you want a look up on there for your Tubbs.

All the best Angela.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Thanks for that - now I know that Joseph John Tubbs had left home by 1861 - he married in Queensland in 1865 so I figured he may have been gone - his brothers followed but obviously not right away  ;D

Thanks for offering to look up the Cambridgeshire 1841 census for me the family would be as follows:

John Tubbs (b. 1804 Isle of Ely, Cambs)
Lucy Case Tubbs (b. 1810 Sculthorpe, Norfolk)
Lucy Green Tubbs (b. 1837 Kennett, Cambs)
Joseph John Tubbs (b. 9 Feb 1841 Kennett, Cambs)

As I understand it Kennett is on the Cambridge border with Suffolk is this right? I hope they are in your index  :)

Thanks again

Jenny Clark
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 February 05 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen,

Just had a look and Kennet is on my discs but no John and Lucy Tubbs perhaps they only moved there and had Joseph after the census???

Sorry not much help to you after all.

All the best Angela.

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Joseph John Tubbs birth is sometimes given as Newmarket and sometimes Kennett. I believe that Newmarket is near Kennett but is in Suffolk or on the border. Is it possible to check Newmarket? Or will that be in the Suffolk census?  ???

Thanks so much for your help, you have been fantastic

Jenny

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 09:32 GMT (UK) »
All that is on the Cambridgeshire discs is Newmarket All Saints. I gave it the once over and not a sign of them.

I checked the Cambridgeshire Family History Society site which has the index for the 1841 but there is no sign of them on it at all?? More mystery. Perhaps a request on the suffolk board might get the answer. Don't know how the boarders work in that area you probably have more idea than me. Nothing ventured nothing gained. could be that they didn't live in ither town but somewhere inbetween and just put the nearest town to where they were born for census  better than 3miles down the lane from Kennet.
If you understand what I'm saying. Try the suffolk board you have nothing to loose and maybe thats where they will be found.

Sorry I couldn't help

Just checking our last conversations I have put Alice Tubbs as born in Kennet she was born in Runcton so sorry about that. 

All the best in finding them Angela

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Angela, I will put it on the Suffolk board  :)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 February 05 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Angela,

Sorry to be a pain but I just found Joseph John Tubbs birth certificate from 9 Feb 1841 - registered 11 Mar 1841 in Newmarket (subdistrict Gazeley). It states that John and Lucy Tubbs were living in Kennett at this time his occupation is given as a farmer. I was hoping with this information might help.

These certificates are so frustrating! They have that he was born at 10 in the morning but not more detail on the address! Just Kennett...

I promise I will give up after this  :-\

Thanks

Jenny