Author Topic: Roundabouts Children's Hotel W-S-M  (Read 9511 times)

Offline AshMash

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roundabouts Children's Hotel W-S-M
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 October 16 15:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I used to live there from 1954 - 1960 then fostered out by one of the carers when it turned into a day nursery. I can tell you a bit more about it if you still want to know. Its not all pleasant reading but it was where I was placed at 6 weeks of age.

Offline Saram7009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 October 16 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I used to live there from 1954 - 1960 then fostered out by one of the carers when it turned into a day nursery. I can tell you a bit more about it if you still want to know. Its not all pleasant reading but it was where I was placed at 6 weeks of age.

I'd love to know more as it was our home from 2005 until recently when we sold it. It was a beautiful house (eventually!), we found letters from parents to children behind a fireplace in the sitting room. I'm fascinated with its history

Offline AshMash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 October 16 16:39 BST (UK) »
The Roundabouts children's hotel was run by 2 spinsters called Gabriel Lemon (Auntie Gay) and  one called Peggy who smoked a pipe and wore very masculine clothes, It was bought by Gabriels father who owned some larger properties further up the road near to St Pauls church. The Hotel, as it was called was like a private Barnados and was used mostly for single mothers who were shamed into giving up their children and ethnic children from white parents which was a major taboo in the 50`s. The majority of us their were illegitimate and given up to be fostered out eventually when a foster parent was found.
In the back garden I remember a raised concrete circular patio which housed for the early years an actual children's roundabout but was dismantled by the end of the 1950`s.
The 2 front rooms were the play rooms and were heated by 2 small single bar heaters high up on the walls, we ate in the back right hand room which lead to the kitchen. The "Office" was the room on the back left with toilets and wash basins with cold water only dividing the two rooms. The entrance hall was huge which lead up the stairs to the first of 2 upper floors, the 1st floor were bedrooms with 3 or 4 of us to a bed, no carpets and if you wanted a wee in the night you did it in the bed as you were kept in the beds by metal side bars. Any washing was done in tin baths and shared with other kids and was once a week if you were lucky.
The top floor was used as the owners residence and was strictly out of bounds.

From the eating room , it lead down a small corridor past a back door to the garden and past what was the food store (pantry - no fridges those days) into the kitchen which was a cold tiled floor with large hot water boilers and a large gas cooker, food seemed to be on the cooker at all times and I remember well  that food was of poor quality and you sat at your table until you ate it, alternatively it was pushed down your throat by Peggy or Gabriel. Easter eggs were boiled eggs which had been painted. Anyway, past the kitchen was another corridor which had a massive coal fired boiler in it where clothes were hung over rope hung airers to dry. after that another room housed the laundry room and mangles ( clothes ringers) then that opened out onto the bottom of the garden.

During the late 1950`s Gabriel and Peggy retired and relocated to Chislehurst in Kent and fostered 2 of the kids there (Penny and Stephen ) I was fostered out to the lady who took over the place  and ran it as the Roundabouts Day Nursery until she retired many years ago. This was my home from 6 weeks to 6 years as they could not find anyone who wanted me. The conditions did get better towards the end but it was what it was as that is what happened in those days but it is etched deeply into your memory and myself and countless others will have shared those memories and the respondents who say this was not a happy time for them I can totally emphasise with.
I am sorry if this is not the rosy story you were hoping to hear but I remember that place even as a small child very well.

Regards

Ashley

Offline AshMash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 October 16 16:49 BST (UK) »
Here is the raised concrete patio with me and some of the other residents

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 October 16 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley and welcome to Rootschat...what interesting memories. You should remove any names of people who may still be living as this is against Rootschats Privacy Policy.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Saram7009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 October 16 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ashley,

I'm so sorry to read your story. It is not what we were led to believe the house was used for. I guess facts and stories get twisted and changed over the years.

It is interesting to hear your descriptions of the rooms and how they were used. For example, the coal fire boiler you refer to was still in the outbuildings when we purchased the house to do it up. The room you refer to as the kitchen has been blocked up so there was no access that way into the 'laundry' room or the back garden.

One thing that always flummoxed us and that we couldn't find the answer to (despite taking a trip to Taunton records office to see any plans or references to our house), was why there was a covered up opening into the house next door on the half landing between the first floor and the top floor? Would you have ever seen this?

I have pictures if you would like to see the house how it is now?

Again, I'm so sorry for your terrible experiences at no 3, St. Paul's road (Malpas Lodge to give it its original name).

I look forward to hearing from you

Offline Saram7009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 23 October 16 17:17 BST (UK) »
Here is the raised concrete patio with me and some of the other resints

Was this on the left hand side of the garden (from the house), at the end?

The building (possibly a coach house) is no longer standing.

Offline AshMash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 23 October 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
The photo is taken at the back left hand side of the rear garden, the concrete covered about 3/4 of the width of the garden. You could also walk through an archway through to Severn Road shops through the other properties back garden.
The filled in walkway on the landing comes from a time when the two properties were occupied by the two owners and the other property was also used as some sort of residence or an overflow when the original hotel was "full". To my knowledge this was turned back into two separate properties in the early 1960`s but I believe was also used as an education facility for the older inhabitants.
It would be good to see a few updated photos, that would be most kind,

Offline Saram7009

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 October 16 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
The photo is taken at the back left hand side of the rear garden, the concrete covered about 3/4 of the width of the garden. You could also walk through an archway through to Severn Road shops through the other properties back garden.
The filled in walkway on the landing comes from a time when the two properties were occupied by the two owners and the other property was also used as some sort of residence or an overflow when the original hotel was "full". To my knowledge this was turned back into two separate properties in the early 1960`s but I believe was also used as an education facility for the older inhabitants.
It would be good to see a few updated photos, that would be most kind,

I thought it was to the left. It's a shame somebody demolished the coach house.

I wasn't aware of the walkway to the shops, do you recall where that was, on which side of the garden wall?

We were told the opening through to next door (which incidentally is now a private nursing home) was done during the war and that it was to do with evacuees. It shows how the story gets muddled over the decades.

I am unable to send the pictures without an email address (none of the pictures I have are stored on my new iPad). Sorry.

If you google 'Malpas Lodge 3 St. Paul's road' the sales details come up for when we sold the house last year. It says 6 bedroom house or something like that.

The house was very unloved when we acquired it in 2005. Prior to us buying it, it was being used as an HMO and every room was being let out to anybody for cash. The estate agent described it as a 'commune'! You can imagine the state it was in. As has previously been mentioned, before that it was a nursery and before that, the 'children's hotel' you know it as. We restored it to it's former glory, I hope that if you see the pictures it will help your not so good memories.