Author Topic: Sunderland Shipbuilders  (Read 13117 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland Shipbuilders
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peter.  As you know from my first post, I do know the details of the Annie Archbell from Lloyds Register, but your second lead about the British Shipbuilding yards is most interesting.  I'm assuming that this book is not available on line, so it may have to be put on hold until I can find a source for it, possibly through my local library (assuming they do a loan scheme from other libraries).  Therefore any further details you could offer would be appreciated.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Suse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info re the book - I realise that it will be virtually impossible to track down specific vessels on which they worked but interesting to get some idea of the types of ship/work etc. 

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry BumbleB I forgot how far along you were.
The builder of the Annie Archbell was George Peverall who seems to have been more of a shipbroker. He started as a printer. Perhaps his partner Davison was the trained shipwright.
I remembered a web site ca.geocities.com/ventures0@Rogers.com which has a heap of information on early shipbuilders. His yard was on the north bank and was later subsumed into the Thompson yards. His sister in law was a Thompson but its a common name. If Suse can find the yard name she could get an idea of the sort of ships. By 1850 the yards were switching to iron building. By 1880 wood had become a thing of the past.
Yours Peter

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 20:22 GMT (UK) »
So Peter:  what information can you give me about George Peverall?  The website doesn't seem to be available!!  Sorry to be a pain  ::) ::)

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 20:58 GMT (UK) »
George Peverall b Durham City 1825 began as a printers apprentice. Married Louisa Cornwell of Durham. 9 sons 1 dau b Gateshead, SShields, Newcastle and then Bishop Wearmouth. In 1851 he is a prosperous ship & insurance broker at Olive st Bishop Wearmouth. By 1861 he is a shipbuilder employing 20 men & 10 boys with his son George as his clerk. The yard was on the opposite bank of the Wear in Monk Wearmouth at Wreath quay under the names of Peverall & Davison. By 1871 he is described as a shipbroker and his son John is an Iron ship draughtsman.
By 1881 the family were all in London in totally unrelated employments.
It seems the yard was swallowed up by J L Thompson who started building in iron in 1871 but it had been unused for some years. the site had a few names of ships the yard built, but not the Annie Archbell. Probably the higher investment needed for iron ships, decided Peverall to give up.
Peter

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Peter.

BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline peter brownlee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 February 09 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello BumbleB,
Looking for a ship called Empress I came across the following;
Brig Ellen 230tons built Perth 1834 owned Archbell London sheathed yellow metal last surveyed A1 in 1844. In London at the time, no prospective voyage indicated.
Did you find out how the Annie Archbel was lost? Always interesting to a seaman.
Peter

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 February 09 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter:  Thanks for that, I had no idea about another vessel, and this time owned by Archbell as opposed to Brodie - further investigation needed obviously so it looks like another trip to Birmingham Library!!

Afraid I don't know how the Annie Archbell was lost, mainly because I don't know how to go about it.  Lloyds just stamped Lost against her in 1867.  Any hints on how to find the information would be welcome.  As I said my initial interest was in the name, and then I had to find more.  I went into the Library in Birmingham and ended up with this great trolley full of Lloyds registers to look at.  I'm also amazed that she was so small and the thought of travelling to Australia or China in a vessel that size just blows my mind, and the thought that she could carry 4500 bales of cotton from China!!

BumbleB

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Suse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Loftus iron schooner
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 February 09 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Still pursuing fmily history and I find that my friend's gggrandfather was a John Morrow master mariner who was probably the first captain of the Loftus - the first iron schooner built in Sundrrland launched 1852 - have found details but no picture - other ships were the John & Mary and also The Ant - any thoughts on how to find pictures?