Author Topic: Lost children in Nottingham  (Read 1430 times)

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lost children in Nottingham
« on: Friday 19 December 08 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi -

Can anyone help me trace two children who were recorded on the 1841 census, please?  Their names were William Bembridge, aged 5, and Eliza Bembridge, aged 2, and they were living at Island Street, in the parish of St Mary’s, Nottingham.  The little girl was born in Nottinghamshire, but not the boy.

Recorded with them was Eliza Bembridge, 25, working as a cotton doubler (pleater?) and Hannah Bembridge, aged 65, possibly her mother.

I know what became of the older Eliza, from whom I'm descended; but I can't find any mention of the two children, either on BMD or on subsequent censuses.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- judijee
ANDERTON - Solihull; BAINES - Montgomeryshire; BEASTALL - Lincolnshire; BEMBRIDGE - Nottingham; BRADLEY - Dudley; BRATT - Bilston; DABBS - Wellington, Shropshire; EYRE - Nottingham and Birmingham; FENN - Bilston; FENNYHOUSE - Staffordshire; FERRINGTON - Bilston; FITCH - Norwich; FOWLER - Bilston; GLOVER - Walsall and Birmingham; JOHNSON - Cheshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Wombourne; SHALE - Bilston; SHELTON - Wheaton Aston, Wolverhampton; TUFFT - Wolverhampton; WARD - Dudley

Offline willow154

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum - Such love
    • View Profile
Re: Lost children in Nottingham
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 January 09 02:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi judijee,
Sorry, but I can't help you with census information, as I haven't got access until the end of next week (hopefully).
However, I found two marriages on Freebmd, and didn't know if you had seen them:
Eliza Bembridge   Radford District   Sep qtr 1873
William Bembridge  Nottingham District  Sep qtr 1865
So, it does look as if they might still have been in the Nottingham area. I suggest if no-one can find them on the census then it might be worth sending for these two marriage certificates which will tell you where they were living before their marriages, and other information, too.
If no-one comes back to you remind me in a few days when I have access to the census again and I will look for you.
Hope this helps a little + good luck.
Paulene :)

Offline JC33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 January 09 11:07 GMT (UK) »

Do you know where was your Eliza born 1816 in 1881?

A possibility;

There is an Eliza Bembridge, 58, living with daughter Eliza WILSON, 37, and her children in 1881 Census, both widows, and all household born Nottingham.

You can search this on Familysearch for free, just search for
Eliza Wilson, born 1844

JC

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 January 09 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paulene

Many thanks for your response.  There were quite a few Bembridge families in Nottingham in the 19th century, making it difficult to sort out who belonged to which; but you're right - I need to have a look at those certificates (although the Eliza Bembridge marrying in 1873 could well have been the daughter of Thomas Bembridge & Eliza Scattergood, who married in April 1841).  I could paper an entire wall with all the certificates I've sent for since getting bitten by the genealogy bug --  :) !

It would be really helpful if the 1841 children could be found on the 1851 census, so thanks in advance for any help.

All the best - judi

ANDERTON - Solihull; BAINES - Montgomeryshire; BEASTALL - Lincolnshire; BEMBRIDGE - Nottingham; BRADLEY - Dudley; BRATT - Bilston; DABBS - Wellington, Shropshire; EYRE - Nottingham and Birmingham; FENN - Bilston; FENNYHOUSE - Staffordshire; FERRINGTON - Bilston; FITCH - Norwich; FOWLER - Bilston; GLOVER - Walsall and Birmingham; JOHNSON - Cheshire, Stoke-on-Trent, Wolverhampton, Wombourne; SHALE - Bilston; SHELTON - Wheaton Aston, Wolverhampton; TUFFT - Wolverhampton; WARD - Dudley

Offline judijee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 January 09 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi JC - thanks for your response.  I somehow don't think the widowed  Eliza Bembridge you've found on the 1881 census could have been the little girl on the 1841 census because Bembridge was her maiden, not married, name.  But thanks a lot for looking for me.

All the best - judijee