Author Topic: Another local expression - do you have a variant?  (Read 58715 times)

Offline netgrrl79

• RootsChat Senior
  • RIP Horace Chambers ~ 14.12.1916-12.06.2010
    • View Profile
Re: Another local expression - do you have a variant?
« Reply #171 on: Friday 24 July 09 16:34 BST (UK) »
Stop that skriking or you'll get some at to skrik for..

Liverpool has always had its own words totally different for the rest of Lancashire.   Where we would say grandma  it was Nin  in common usage in Liverpool I believe this is from the Welsh families who settled there.

Just read through the thread and found this one didn't have answers - never heard skriking or Nin (I live in North East Wales, about 40 miles from Liverpool) but I'd guess skriking might come from sgrechian (Welsh - to shriek/scream) and Nain is North Welsh dialect for grandmother.
WRY - Chambers, Burgin, Green, Bradley, Jefferson, Bates, Widdowson, Vickers; DUR - Brennan; LKS - Conway, McGunnigal; KEN - Harrison; GLA - Thomas, Jones; STI - Conway; SSX - Coleman, Freeman, Jefferson; NTT - Jefferson, Chambers; DBY - Chambers, Smith; NBL - Harrison; TIP - Conway

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: Friday 24 July 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
I'm from Oldham and you can still hear 'skrike' used for crying /screaming.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: Friday 24 July 09 16:52 BST (UK) »
Do you remember, when young, people used to write a series of letters on the back of an envelope to convey a secret message to a loved one.

There are a couple of those in this Alan Bennett sketch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUDxnkIPAh8
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Friday 24 July 09 17:16 BST (UK) »
Yes, I remember N O R W I C H  ;) ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thought you might like these, culled from A.E Jenkin's book on life in Titterstone and the Clee Hills, Shropshire, "Everyday Life Industrial History and Dialect"

E annu got a bit a mat on him - He's very thin
Sur/re int e norru gutid - Good gracious isn't he thin. (narrow gutted, love that)
Sur/re, the assnu of got sum chollop - Good gracious you've got plenty to say for yourself
Gis a cherper - give us a kiss
There the bist the sist - there you are you see

So lung fer now!
cad

Wiltshire,Somerset : Cainey, Summers, Payne, Wallis,
Wales: Pugh, Watkins, Williams, Edwards,
London: Binden, Sullivan, Tickner, Tilt
Ireland: Tracey, Sullivan, Dalton

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 22:54 BST (UK) »
Oh Cad you have brought back memories- I can remember round the Stiperstones area people always said  "How bist you?" for "how are you?"                                                                                   All negative word such as couldn`t ,wouldn`t, hadn`t and shouldn`t,didn`t,were ---Couldna, wouldna, hadna, shouldna , didna, . To say someone is not becomes--- isna----  " Her isna gonna  town today" ie "She is not going to town today"" Her anna got much money"ie "she has not got much money"The answer Yes to a question was always "ah."" I Don`t think so "became " I dunna think so"I don`t know why I said was, it still is." I dare not "   is  "" I dursent" > You jogged my memory very pleasantly. Thanks .Viktoria.

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 23:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Viktoria, glad to be of service, if you haven't already you should read Mary Webb, especially The Prescious Bane or Gone to Earth (which is based in the Stiperstones area), I think you'd enjoy them.
Lissum, meaning lithe is still my favourite Shropshire word.
Cad

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks cad, I have read all Mary Webb`s books and was there when "Gone to Earth" was filmed up at Lord`shill Chapel above Snailbeach. I met most of the stars except the one I was dying to meet---David  Farrar. He was exactly like I imagined Jack Rreddin to be.That was superb casting but I thought Jennifer Jones was mis-cast.Many of my friends and neighbours were extras in the film and one relative .I had gone back home to be with my parents after being evacuated to relatives of my paternal grandmother but always went back  to Snailbeach for my long school holidays and it coincided with the filming. Such lovely music by Eric Eastham.I have a copy of the film which was sold at the pub at The Stiperstones after a programe had been made and filmed about the making of G.T.E.The scenery is breathtaking.. Her stories are a bit maudlin and mawkish so much so that Stella Gibbons wrote "Cold Comfort Farm"as an antidote!,
Mary Webb tried I think to write as Thomas Hardy did and whilst she did not have his genius never-the -less she had a great insight into human nature.After Squire Reddin has seduced Hazel and she is having his baby he decides he may as well get married, (he`s getting on a bit and there should be an heir for "Undern", )as if he`s doing her a huge favour, M.W. writes " and he never understood just exactly what he had done"That`s my favourite of all her books and to know that one tree is mentioned in it which is still growing at Lord`shill is amazing to me, having relatives buried there. But thanks very much , had I not known about the books I would have been pleased you were kind enough to mention them to me. Viktoria.

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 00:53 BST (UK) »
Wow Viktoria,
I remember when growing up we would laugh our faces off watching that film on the telly, everytime it came on!! Especially that chase scene at the end where she chases her fox the length and breadth of shropshire whilst chased by the hunt, one minute it's the meres the next it's Caer Caradoc! How guilty I felt when I discovered the films of Michael Powell a few years later, all classics. It's also remarkable for being filmed in the original setting of the book, how many other novels filmed at that time got such respect?
Here's some more pillaged from the book..

Look at that od Kov/i
Int e a klink/er?
Dunt our Tum minse is fit/tl
Dust/nu want a nog/gin a chas?

Maybe I don't need to translate!
here's me slopin off
cad