Author Topic: Another local expression - do you have a variant?  (Read 58718 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Another local expression - do you have a variant?
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 01:31 BST (UK) »
Do you know "The Callow" that is Bromlow Callow> The ring of trees at the top was getting a bit thin and there has been some re-planting. I asked my uncle once why was it there- he said during the first world war the whole hill was covered with trees and the landowner sold them or was forced to sell them to The War Dept. for use as trench supports and pit props when there was a lot of tunnelling under the German lines. Sadly his son was killed just before the hill was totally cleared and he asked that the crown of trees should be left as a memorial to his son. I have mentioned that from time to time but no-one seems to have heard it . I suppose the land owner could be identified and if he lost a son. If it is a memorial it`s a lovely one  being a distinct landmark for miles and miles and therefore such a pity the young man`s name has entered  oblivion. Pity I didn`t ask.Viktoria.

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Viktoria,
Interesting story, not one I'd heard before but my old stomping ground was the Ironbridge area and when I googled Bromlow Callow I recognised the view immediately from car journeys. I have a book called Trees of Shropshire by Andrew Morton, I was convinced such a notable landmark would be in that, alas not. There is a mention in Michael Raven's excellant Shropshire Gazeteer...
"It catches the eye for many miles around. Turn a corner and there it is, the distinctive clump of pine trees on the hill called Bromlow Callow. It was originally planted, it is said, as a drover's landmark and we are quite prepared to believe it. Bromlow means 'the broom covered hill', and Callow is from the Old English calu, meaning 'bald' and hence 'bare'. It is a very scattered community in a country of small hills and dales."
It would seem that the hill has born it's little pine toupee for a good deal longer than your uncle's story suggests. Such a detailed story though, I wonder if it applies to a differant clump of trees, would pine even be suitable for use in tunnels
Gone off topic here so I'll sign off with a few more words...

Woont - mole
wolet - owl
blaw - blossom
choober  or  choob/bin/kez - football
dan/di/pats - slippers
donni - hand
golden chan - laburnum
granch - chew noisily
klet - having no money
must quit me larrup now,
cad

Wiltshire,Somerset : Cainey, Summers, Payne, Wallis,
Wales: Pugh, Watkins, Williams, Edwards,
London: Binden, Sullivan, Tickner, Tilt
Ireland: Tracey, Sullivan, Dalton

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi cad I suspect your story may be the true one as no-one else I have asked knows the one uncle told me .Bromlow callow was "Hunter`s Spinney" in G.T.E.
Try to get a book called "Never on a Sunday", a delightful read full of local expressions from the Stiperstones district.
To get back on topic, here in the North of England people say "He`ll have your guts for garters"---You are in deep trouble with someone.
Ast a bin agate?--have you been out and about
Art throng?---are you very busy?
Art reet?---are you alright?, a way of saying hello.
If you offer to help someone and they don`t want it,they`ll say "your reet, ie no need to bother..
                                                                                                      Cheerio. Viktoria.

Offline Gaille

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Friday 07 August 09 10:43 BST (UK) »
I'm from Oldham and you can still hear 'skrike' used for crying /screaming.

LOL I was just about to post the exact same thing, hello fellow Oldhamer!

My dad told my Nephew to quit Skriking yesterday cos he was being a mardy & crying every 2 inutes for no reason (Mardy = softie/baby around here)
Manchester – Bate(s) / Bebbington / Coppock or Coppart / Evans / Mitchell / Prince / Smith

Cheshire Latchford – Bibby / Savage / Smith.
Cheshire Macclesfield,  Bollington & Rainow – Childs / Flint / Mc'rea
Cheshire Crewe – Bate(s) / Bebbington
Shropshire Wellington, Wobwell – Smith
Walsall Midds – Smith
Norfolk - Childs / Hanwell / Smith

Also looking for:
Mc'Rea/McCrea – Ireland to Cheshire

And
any relatives of Margaret Bibby married to Thomas Smith all over country

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Saturday 08 August 09 02:21 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Do we have here before us the first Rootschat ' hand book' to Local expressions!
It is fascinating reading ,keep them coming.
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline FosseWay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Monday 20 September 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
Someone mentioned 'It looks black over Bill's mother's' -- that's Black Country as far as I know. From the same neck of the woods (where I grew up), there's a wealth of expressions that use the verb 'bost' (cognate with Standard English 'burst', I think):

bost as a verb (simple past and past participle also bost) = break, as in "Yow've bost it", "It day work, it's bost", "Gerron with it or Oi'll bost yer 'ed"
bostin as a present participle/adjective = excellent, very good
bost off as a verb = move quickly, get a move on

The latter in particular tends to be misinterpreted by people from elsewhere -- it's not a synonym for various other four-letter words followed by 'off', meaning 'get lost'; you might say to a driver who's sitting at a green light "Goo on, bost off!", meaning "Get on with it!" rather than anything stronger.

And you might call the dozy driver saft (= soft in the head) if he doesn't bost off to your satisfaction.  :)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Monday 20 September 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
Derbyshire

"bost" = burst

I'm fit to bost =I'm very full

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Saturday 25 September 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
I'd forgotten this thread, a great re-read, such interesting local expressions.

I remember an old lady of my acquaintance who had a simple reply when asked the question why? (particularly by a child) to which she either didn't know the answer, or didn't want to give it - she used to say

"because which."

Can't do much with that one.   :D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Saturday 25 September 10 20:10 BST (UK) »
I remember a saying---- rather unkind really--- used  by neighbours when an engaged couple, neither of whom  were particularly attractive came into view  . " Ah well, at least neither of them will spoil another pair".
It`s really cruel isn`t it!!     Viktoria.