Author Topic: Baptism - George HULL bc 1820 - Tenlake  (Read 1478 times)

Offline gingerslf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Baptism - George HULL bc 1820 - Tenlake
« on: Friday 19 December 08 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Looking to find his parents!

I have him in 1851 (Piece: 1748; Folio: 448; Page: 170) and from then on in Sheffield except for 1861.

He married twice:

1st time Apr 1845 Ely to Mary Ann Hopkin who died 1860.

Then after that either married (cannot find anything) or just lived with Harriet Rodgers from Sheffield.

Here they are in 1881 Piece: 4673; Folio: 49; Page: 10

On two of the census it says he was born in Tenlake Bedford....I have looked for it but can find no such place!

The only George Hull's born circa 1820 on 1841 are all from Cambridge.

As Cambs and Bedfordshire border each other would people be unaware of where they were born?

As he married in Ely in 1845  I am drawn towards this on the 1841:

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Parents are George and Susanna......this George is also on IGI with the same named parents.

On IGI there is also a George born Bedford in 1821, but with no more details....so I don't think it is the above George.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Hull born 1820 Tenlake!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 December 08 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Have you bought a copy of  his 1845 marriage cert to establish his fathers name

On IGI there is also a George born Bedford in 1821, but with no more details

There is no entry on the IGI for a George Hull b Bedford 1821
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Hull born 1820 Tenlake
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 December 08 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Tenlake sounds as if it ought to be Fenlake, a hamlet of Cardington. I see he gave Bedford, Beds as his birthplace in another census - Fenlake is only just outside Bedford.  Cardington baptisms post 1812 aren't on the IGI or the BVRI. You'll need to check the microfilm of Cardington parish register at your nearest LDS Family History Centre. Remember that the IGI is far from complete; just because a baptism isn't where you expect it to be doesn't mean it's not there. It might simply be that that particular parish is missing from the IGI. Cardington goes up to 1812 on the IGI - there's a Naomi Hull baptised 1812 at Cardington, parents Thomas and Elizabeth. Might be the same family - there was no other in Cardington at this time.

Downham is fifty miles from Bedford, on the border with Suffolk, and if he consistently gave Beds as his birthplace it's not as if he was close to the county boundary so there was a doubt as to which side of the border he was born. But if you check the 1851 the George you're drawn towards is married to Mary A and still living in Downham with his widower father George, so unless he'd perfected the art of being in two places at once I think you can knock him on the head. I don't think this 1845 marriage in Ely relates to your George living in Hunts - I think it's the one living in Downham. But I can't see the marriage of your George to Mary from Eynesbury Hunts.

His youngest child in 1851 was Fredric aged 1. There's a Frederick born March quarter 1850 in Huntingdon registration district, which includes Brampton, on FreeBMD. If you purchase this certificate you'll get the mother's maiden name.

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline gingerslf

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 08 08:12 GMT (UK) »

Have you bought a copy of  his 1845 marriage cert to establish his fathers name

Not yet, I was waiting to see if you guys cold help me out first.

There is no entry on the IGI for a George Hull b Bedford 1821

Sorry Carole, you're quite right, what I should have said is that there  is one on LDS on 1881 born in Bedford.

Offline StevenG

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 December 08 19:49 GMT (UK) »
In 1851 and 1861 (I haven't looked later) there is a William Hull, born Cardington, living in St Neots.  In 1851 he has with him a daughter Emily, in 1861, a married daughter Martha.  I cannot find any of these in 1841.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Hull born 1820 Tenlake
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 December 08 22:23 GMT (UK) »
There's an Elizabeth Hull age 37 buried at Cardington on 7 Oct 1832.

In 1851 Martha age 27 born Fenlock Beds was living in St Neots enumerated as Bowker

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock