Author Topic: headstone details  (Read 6269 times)

Offline cliffb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: headstone details
« Reply #18 on: Friday 20 February 09 16:47 GMT (UK) »
There are certainly plenty of Browns in our line, although so far none of them but me have apparently been researching their family trees.
Thomas Brown (born about 1801) left Ovingham parish some time in the early 19th century to move to Walker, and it seems that several of his brothers did the same thing. They married local Newcastle girls and worked at pits in Walker, one of which was the Henry Pit at Sharper's Farm, which is on the first series 6" OS map.

During the 1860s they all moved again, this time to Eighton Banks (just south of Gateshead) where they formed a formidable Brown enclave, again working in the local pits.  My grandfather was born at Wrekenton just three months after his own father had died of tuberculosis in 1896  -  he and his mother moved away from the area, but he returned as drapery manager in Wrekenton Co-op, where hoards of Browns made themselves known to him!
I've barely scratched the surface of this lot, concentrating on my direct forebears, but they almost all worked in the pits, sometimes moving to colliery villages further down county Durham or up into Norethumberland.

My main interest at the moment is this 18th century link with Shotley parish, to try and get back further.  I thought I had them related to the Browns at Fairley, but I notice that William son of William actually died quite early on, so it looks like I'll have to think again!
All the best,   Cliff (Brown, of course!)

Offline researcher53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: headstone details/Greeners
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 07 January 10 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cliff and anyone else interested in Greener's from Ovingham or surrounding areas.

I have been looking into my male line Greener side of the family and found that they appear in Ovingham and later moved to Newcastle.

So far I have tracked them back to James Greener in Ovingham who appears to have married (wife's name unknown at present) and  produced at least one child, he was

John Greener
who later married Elizabeth Carr,
she was baptised a St. Maurice's church, Eglinham on 5th. October 1740.
The Father of Elizabeth was Henry Carr of Ditchburn.
Henry's father was Kennet (Kenneth) Carr.

John Greener and Elizabeth Carr were married at St. Mary's Church Ovingham on 2nd. March 1767.

John and Elizabeth produced at least 6 children, Robert, John, Thomas, Kennet (or Kenneth), a second child John and ?Nanny (bad writing to read).

This is where my tree splits and my ancestor, Kennet (Kenneth) (baptised 12th. November 1775) moved to Newcastle-upon-Tyne. We think he was born in Wylam as were all his other siblings but baptised at St. Mary's Ovingham. He married Juliet Wilkinson in Gateshead at St. Mary's on 25.12.1802.

Juliet Wilkinson was baptised on 4th. July 1776 at St. Nicholas' in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. We think that Juliet had at least two sisters Sophia (Bap. 13th. January 1785) and Mary Elizabeth (bap. 30th. May 1778). Further to this we think Juliet's parents were Robert Wilkinson and his wife Sophia Cordy(Cordey).

Maybe you or others recognise some of the names in this tree, if so I have further details on the them. I wonder if your Ann Greener is one of my Greener family, if not one of the direct line maybe a cousin?

All good wishes in your search.

Offline editor43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 00:01 BST (UK) »
I am most interested to read that there is another Greener researcher looking at John Greener who married Elizabeth Carr.  I am a direct line descendent of Thomas Metcalfe Greener who married Dorothy Black 1 Sept 1867 at St. Andrew's, Newcastle upon Tyne.

Best Wishes

Offline researcher53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 09:21 BST (UK) »
Quote - "I am most interested to read that there is another Greener researcher looking at John Greener who married Elizabeth Carr.  I am a direct line descendent of Thomas Metcalfe Greener who married Dorothy Black 1 Sept 1867 at St. Andrew's, Newcastle upon Tyne." Unquote.

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]I would be very happy to share information with you, I have quite a bit. Could you please give me more information on your particular branch tracking back to Thomas and Dorothy, then I will know where you fit into our tree? I'm sure you are a member. You can e-mail me direct off page with personal reply so your information and details will not be shown on line. 

Regards,

Researcher53[/color]

Offline editor43

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 May 12 18:39 BST (UK) »
Dear Researcher 53
                              I'm the grand daughter of John Greener born 1881 -  son of Dorothy and  Thomas Metcalfe Greener.  John married Annie Louise Smith in 1912.

Where do you fit in? 

Editor43