Author Topic: headstone details  (Read 6271 times)

Offline felltyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: headstone details
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 January 09 11:13 GMT (UK) »
many thanks for that,back to 1268!!,the mind boggles,just have to get beyond this guy luke,will add this data to bywell,shotley,and then the siblings, some thing to do while waiting for fiche and other info,and thats only browns,my gran will have to wait a bit longer,hope you have succsess with your own search...............thos

Offline fairleyfarm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 January 09 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Found some more Brown marriages on a Ancestral Indexes CD I have from NDFHS . There are from Bywell St. Peters

1671.4.20 William Browne ,WST , Elizabeth Lawson
1726.1.19 William Brown , Elizabeth Brown
1731.5.09 William Brown ,WHK, Elizabeth Ellison
1755.11.24 William Brown , Elizabeth Atkinson

Is the last one your Luke's parents perhaps?

Do you have any more relatives who have lived at Fairley . Really only have a comprehensive list of inhabitants from the census records.
TTFN
Inhabitants of Fairley

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 10 January 09 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from the Elsdon family who lived at Fairley and Fairley May. As they intermarried with the Browns I have quite a lot of detail on the Brown family, but have not yet come across a Luke Brown.

Jennifer
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline felltyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 11 January 09 11:10 GMT (UK) »
hi jenb,yes its a real mystery,luke claims to be native of faril,could have moved there at a young age,certainly worked there was married at whittonstall 1794,had 4 children all baptized at shotley,and perhaps buried whittonstall 1807 aged 45,he had a son and grandson,named luke,none of them pop up in records very often,the only one i've found with the right date is  newcastle all saints, father luke!!family could have moved,haven't tied the elsdons in yet,i know of 2 brothers marrying 2 sisters,hope you have'nt been swamped with browns,my maternal side are from elsdon,so i will get used to the name.......thos

Offline cliffb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 February 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
Found some more Brown marriages on a Ancestral Indexes CD I have from NDFHS . There are from Bywell St. Peters

1671.4.20 William Browne ,WST , Elizabeth Lawson
1726.1.19 William Brown , Elizabeth Brown
1731.5.09 William Brown ,WHK, Elizabeth Ellison
1755.11.24 William Brown , Elizabeth Atkinson

Is the last one your Luke's parents perhaps?

Do you have any more relatives who have lived at Fairley . Really only have a comprehensive list of inhabitants from the census records.
TTFN

Offline cliffb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 February 09 16:57 GMT (UK) »
hello all - new kid on the block here!

I've traced our Browns back from Eighton Banks to Ovingham parish with certainty, where William Brown married a local girl, Ann Greener, in 1798 but was "of Shotley" himself. Looking through Shotley records, and given his age,  job (cordwainer), etc, the most likely prospect for his parents are William Brown and (unnamed) wife of "Fairle in Whitenstall Chapelry" , with a birth date of 21 July 1771.
Could this be the William Brown mentioned earlier in your thread who married Elizabeth Atkinson on 24 November 1755?  If it is, and anyone reading is related to this couple, I've got all the Browns in our branch down to the present day.

Offline felltyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 February 09 10:48 GMT (UK) »
hi,got browns coming from everywhere,without lukes parents it's  not possible to tie them together,it has to be luke buried in whittonstall 1807,at age 45,making him b 1762,william and elizabeth fit time and place slot,giving luke a few siblings,perhaps some chance with any burial inscriptions for them,that's what i was banking on with luke;s headstone,like everyone else i just want to see how how many we are,and how far back we go,if you have the time wouldlike to have your findings......thos

Offline cliffb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 February 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello, felltyne  -  I got this stuff from Gateshead Library a couple of years ago. I was looking for William Browns in Shotley parish (which included Fairley), and the only ones of around the right age were these two:

William, son of William Brown of Fairle in Whitenstall Chapelry, baptised 21 July 1771
and
William, son of John Brown of Penshields, baptised 10 December 1776

The second one would hardly have been out of his indentures by the time he was marrying his wife Ann Greener at Ovingham, so the first seems the only real choice, and William Brown of Fairle's wife was named as Elizabeth for the baptisms of two of their other sons (Ralph and Peter, baptised 5 March 1769 and 30 October 1773 respectively). 
William and Elizabeth must be the couple on your list, but there's no record at Gateshead of a Luke

Cliff

Offline felltyne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 February 09 10:00 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that cliff,going to have a look at all saints newcastle,maybe get a lead,people di'dnt travel much in those days,perhaps it was not far to shotley?would be nice to be on site,all those libraries and collections to browse,have a relative in whitley? bay,think i've worn her out  with research,thanks again,i know it's a daft question,but are there many browns about in the area.....thos