Author Topic: Monaghan Genealogy On-line  (Read 5060 times)

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monaghan Genealogy On-line
« on: Saturday 20 December 08 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

On the basis that there's no harm in asking . . .

Compared to other counties, I'm finding little information on-line for Monaghan.   For other counties (such as Down, for example) you can find transcriptions of BMD records and Census returns.

Am I not looking in the right places or is it the case that Monaghan research has to be done by other means?

TIA

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghan Genealogy On-line
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 December 08 15:00 GMT (UK) »
I think the IWFHS(Irish World Family History Service are in the process of adding Monaghan to the database sometime in January/February I believe.
I have had problems finding my lot too but travelled over from Glasgow 2 years ago and got some really useful help.
Sloey,Slowey,O`Connor ,Hammond,Coulston ,Daily,McCabe ,McCartney,Cunningham ,Martin, McKenna,Cairns Fox,Martin Places of interest Monaghan,Glasgow ,Liverpool,Wolverhampton,Wallasey.

Offline Bhoy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 December 08 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.   Did you mean IWFHS or IFHS?    I'm familiar with the latter - though I wasn't aware of any news such as this - but can't find anything on the former.

I'm from Glasgow too.  One of my Monaghan connections is McKenna, which is on your list.

Offline pancho

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 December 08 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I too have mcKennas on my tree but not sure if its on the Slowey or O`Connor side I will have to dig my stuff out.
Heres a link to the site I mentioned
http://tyronefermanagh.brsgenealogy.com/generic.php?filename=main_index.tpl&selectedMenu=showmap
Sloey,Slowey,O`Connor ,Hammond,Coulston ,Daily,McCabe ,McCartney,Cunningham ,Martin, McKenna,Cairns Fox,Martin Places of interest Monaghan,Glasgow ,Liverpool,Wolverhampton,Wallasey.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 December 08 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Reckon Monaghan is Number1 for secrecy....Short of actually driving around there is not much....I even went all the way to a graveyard just outside Monaghan and almost all the gravestones had been removed for some reason!

I know some of my lot were buried there and had headstones...so why remove them??

Reckon it has got to do with money and having to pay for the privilege of reading the headstones that were there and should be there!!!!

To add insult...the church is closed and there is no clergy in the parish, one visits every few weeks!

There is no one to ask!!

If the stones were removed for a reason then they should have a plan on-site, marking and naming where the graves are.....some stones were piled up in a heap on top of each other!

My family were generous to this church during their lives so this IS AN INSULT!!

Then if you really want the records etc the Church of Ireland church body want BLOOD MONEY, their database is virtually a secret! As they have decided to remove the stones the least they should do is provide this data online! A list of the data on the gravestones they are removing should be available for free!

I for one will NOT be paying the Church of Ireland any money to look at grave inscriptions that were paid for by the people and their families........These gravestones are part of the public domain....

Once there is no money in it they shut up shop! Yes, SHOP! It is a commercial decision....yet they still try to get every penny possible by whatever means they can...this is just an example!

Amen.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.