Author Topic: deCarteret of Sark  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Kami

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
deCarteret of Sark
« on: Saturday 20 December 08 23:01 GMT (UK) »
  My husbands ggrandmother, Elizabeth deCARTERET, was born in 1846 in Sark.  She married Alfred TEGG in St. Peter Port, Guernsey in 1864. He at that time was living on Jethou Island.
  ELizabeth & Alfred had 8 children and lived in several places in the UK.
  In 1890, Alfred, emmigrated with his children to Canada.  No mention of Elizabeth travelling with him and their children.
  I have tried every source to find out the death & place of either Elizabeth or Alfred.
  Does anyone know how I can smash that brickwall.
Thanks, Kami     

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: deCarteret of Sark
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 December 08 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Just saying "hello" and welcome to Rootschat....
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 December 08 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Do you have her and her children in the 1881 living in Lancs'??
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 December 08 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I think she emigrated in 1883 on the Parisian,perhaps someone can have a look I can't read the ages very well,but there is an Elizabeth age 36,Alf, Bertha,Florence and Frances which match up to the 1881 census ...

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 December 08 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Got it ...I think.
A M  spinster age 15
Elizabeth wife age 36
Alf lab age 13
Bertha child age *
Florence child age 4
Francis child age 2 ...destination Quebec.
missing are Caroline age in 1893 about 18,also another son, Henry who should be about 9.

Offline Kami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 December 08 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hepurn, wow!, I am impressed and such fast service. Thank you so very much.  Yes, I had them in the 1881 census.  In the 1891 Quebec census I have the father, Alfred, his children Ada Maud, Florence (my husbands grandmother), and Linda living with him.  But no record of Alfreds wife, Elizabeth.  I did not know she emmigrated to Canada, of which, I am grateful to you for finding this for me. 
  In 1894 I have a record of Alfred and children Alfred, Harry , Ada, Florence, & Francis all living in British Columbia, but no record of wife Elizabeth and daughter Bertha.  Perhaps she returned to England, who knows.
  Thanks again, and because of your wonderful info, I have something more to research out.  But isn't this what genealogy is all about.
  Can I be of help to  you in researching your surname of CARSON in Canada.
Kami

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 December 08 10:09 GMT (UK) »
If you haven't already seen this, it may be of use.

http://user.itl.net/~glen/sark.html

Stewart

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 December 08 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I see the 1891  Canadian census has Alfred down as a Widower....??
My Henry Carson was born in Montreal 1844,was in England for the 1871 and 1881 census,I think he's the Henry Carson who died in 1903 in BC,I don't know who his family were,      if you ever come across him..Shout ;D

Offline Kami

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 December 08 01:02 GMT (UK) »
  Hepburn, where was Alfred Tegg living in the 1891 census?
I don't have access to the Cdn 1891 census.
  I am sure I have found your Henry Carson, I think it was meant to be, as I found that Henry died in 1903 in Kamloops, B.C.  That is where we live.  After the holidays I can get his death certificate for you, that should tell you something, if the informant knows anything about Henry.
  I am the researcher for our local Family History Society and I see that Henry was buried in our local cemetery, although I can't find him listed in the funeral home.  I don't think there was a head stone.
  Thanks again for all your information.  Have a Merry Xmas.
Kami