Author Topic: Howe/How Essex Before 1650  (Read 3349 times)

Offline CPO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Howe/How Essex Before 1650
« on: Sunday 21 December 08 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Searching for the origins of the Howe/How family that resided in Hatfield Broad Oak mid to early 1600S.
Head of the family was Robert Howe, wife's name unknown. He was (according to legend) the father of Abraham and James who immigrated to Roxbury, Mass around 1630 - 1649. Wife of Abraham unknown. James Howe married Elizabeth Dane, daughter of John Dane of Bishop's Stortford. HBO church records are non-existant, ERO has not been able to help me find Robert's family. ERO did provide Quarterly Session Rolls that showed a Robert How 1632 defaulters in the highways in Woodrow, 1633 Rob. Howes' wife of Takley, for recusant, not at church for 12 months. (Convicted). From the Account Book of Thomas Barrington, there are entries indicating he provided, on April 3, 1637, money to John Dane, and Goodman Howe monies for going to New England.  No Howe's were listed as tenants of the Barrington Family in 1624. From miscellaneous ERO sources I have gleaned Robert (b. abt 1572 and Mrs. Howe (b. abt 1576) their children; Robert (b. 1593?), James (b. 1593, m. May 27, 1637), Abraham (b. abt 1602, m. Miss Howe abt 1636) There is the other James that m. Elizabeth Dane on June 7, 1628. There are many Howe's listed for Boxted, Waltham Abbey and nearby villages. Also listed by the Takely Historical Society is the will of a Robert Howe, shoemaker, dated 25 Jan. 1568/69, wife Joan and three daughters, no male children mentioned. Midsummer Session Rolls 1631, shows in Hatfield Broad Oak, Account of Surveyors, in  Hatfield Heath, laborers, Abraham Howe. Surname mail lists have not helped, Essex, and England mail lists have not helped me solve this mystery.

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Howe/How Essex Before 1650
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 00:53 GMT (UK) »
The Hatfield Broad Oak PRs do exist but they are held by the church at HBO, the church will carry out searches for a fee.  I know the ERO have transcripts of the HBO marriage registers I can't remember if they have transcripts of baptism and burial registers, from memory the marriage transcripts give only the names and the year of the event but at least it's a starting point.  The ERO would also be able to supply the address of the person in the church who is in charge of the HBO registers.

Regards
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CPO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 December 08 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying to my search request, I will contact the ERO with a more specific request.

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 May 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
I would be very interested to hear if you discover a link between either the Hatfield How/e families and/or Boxted How/e families and/or the Ardleigh/Manningtree/Mistley/Lawford How/e families.

With the latter, I am back to c1680 and as yet can't find any link prior to that.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline draceana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 February 10 01:06 GMT (UK) »
hello
I wonder if you can let me know if the Howes you are researching were living at Diamond Cottage, Hospital road, StMary at the wall, Colchester around 1888. Alfred Howe was an outfitter and was married to elizabeth cottee (huganots) and they were farmers in the dedham area. thanks
Pat

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
HOWE, Colchester, Harrogate, Yarm, Eaglescliffe
COTTEE, Colchester dedham, Harrogate, Eaglescliffe
BROOKS, Harrogate, Ackworth

Offline Angel260268

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 25 March 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
If your Howe/How families are connected in anyway to Cambridge prior to 1855 please let me know.

Thanks

Offline howe02

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 December 21 10:55 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial for a Robert Howe 1637 in a Wolverhampton cemetery, Staffordshire .......