Author Topic: John DYER - where did he come from?  (Read 826 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John DYER - where did he come from?
« on: Sunday 21 December 08 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Looking for John DYER.  I have very good information about him and his wives/children after his marriage in Portsea, 1791. Family papers say he was born "in Somerset"  c1767.  The only one I see on IGI is a John DIER b. Christon SOM.
He married in Portsea and again (twice) in London, lived in Greenwich, Hackney, Paddington and Chicklade, Wilts, was Secretary to the Royal Hospital for Sailors, Greenwich and later, Chief Clerk at the Admiralty. First notice of appointment at the Admiralty is 1793. My understanding is that appointments and promotion at that time often relied on patronage. His sons were professionals, attending University, daughters married well.
Thus I believe he would have come from a middle-class family or perhaps illegitimate gentry.
He was a staunch non-conformist mainly at the Paddington Chapel.
I have no information at all about his parentage, siblings etc and would be very grateful for any clues.  The only other avenue I can think to try is to look at Admiralty papers to see if there is any info re his appointment.
Oh dear, why didn't he have a really long, uncommon name with lots of Christian names??    :D Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk