Author Topic: Help with location: Havarapark  (Read 1619 times)

Paul E

Help with location: Havarapark
« on: Monday 07 February 05 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me locate a place referred to in the 1871 census:

Havarapark, Yorkshire

many thanks

Paul

Offline Catswhiskers

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with location: Havarapark
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 01:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

From Genuki

"HAVERAH PARK, (extra-parochial) in the lower-division of Claro, liberty of Knaresborough; 3 miles W. of Harrogate, 7 miles from Knaresborough, 8 from Otley. Pop. 87.
This Park, formerly a royal Chace, containing upwards of 2000 acres, now divided into farms, is the property of Sir William Inglby, Bart. in whose family it has been for many ages.

At the west end of the ancient enclosure, situated on the point of a hill, are the remains of a strong tower, with suitable out works; the foundations, and part of the gateway only remaining. Its dimensions appear to have been an exact square, each side measuring fifty feet; the ditch, in some places, is twenty four feet deep, and five hundred feet in circumference. By whom the park was enclosed, or the tower erected, is not known; it is commonly called "John of Gaunt's Castle," and, perhaps, was erected by that Prince, when Lord of Knaresborough about the year 1371."

From Catswhiskers

There's an old story connected with this, but when I heard it it related to King JOhn not John of Gaunt  The castle was probably much earlier than John of Gaunt

There was a blind beggar who walked with crutches. Following some sort of altercation with King John as reparation he was offered as much land as he could walk round in a day. presumably the miserable monarch thought he would get away with a few acres.  As it was Blind Haverah stompaed on his critches for a considerable circumference.

I can't remember  when or where I heard this it's too long ago but any collection of Yorkshire folk tales should have it.
Adams,Bownes, Brown, Law,Linley,Pickering,Sedman,Suckley

Paul E

Re: Help with location: Havarapark
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks catswhiskers - you certainly are!
That is really helpful and fits well with where the person's husband was born, too.

Many thanks

Paul