Author Topic: Jessie gardner  (Read 4782 times)

Offline jesgardner

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jessie gardner
« on: Monday 22 December 08 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Newbie is trying to track down details of father and siblings of Jessie Gardner, believed to have been born about 1881, probably in London (maybe Islington). I believe she had a brother possibly called Tom. I think she  married ( possibly for the second time) 17th February 1912 aged 31 at St Pancras Registry Office and lived in Islip Street .
She became Beesley and subsequently Elton. I think her father's name may have been William or possibly Fred. I wonder if her brother had any children and who they are if so.
Jessie lived to the 1950s.
Please can any one help with this? I am completely new at this.

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jessie gardner
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 December 08 16:27 GMT (UK) »

Hello Jes   ;)

Welcome to Rootschat   ;D

We'll do our best to help  :D

You have mentioned several possible names - where did you get these possibilities from ?  Do you have any certificates  -  her marriage certificate would be a good place to start, since you appear to be sure of that.  (although reading again, you say " I think..."   :-\  )

The marriage certificate would give her father's name and his occupation, which might make it easier to pin them down in a census ;)
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline judi2632

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 December 08 16:30 GMT (UK) »
This is a possible, but a marriage cert would be a great help to confirm the way forward

William F Gardener     39 Mechanical Engineer
Elizabeth Gardener    41
Amy L Gardener    15 Dress makers Assistant
Elsie E Gardener    13
Jessie S Gardener    11
Walter Gardener    9
Ellen M Gardener    8
George M Gardener 6

Living at 78 Elana Rd, Battersea

Piece: 428; Folio 18; Page 28;

I can't see a Jesse with a brother Tom

Ignore this this is not her

Just found her marriage to someone else as she has a middle name of Sarah
Gaskell, Ormskirk, Upholland, Pemberton, Lancashire
Screeton/Screaton, Nottingham
Lomax Suffolk, Lancashire
Ghilks, Mansfield
Jones, Wales
Banham, Norwich
Rothwell, Lancashire
Tinks, Suffolk
Shepherd, Lancashire

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 December 08 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Second marriage: Jessie Beesley to William F. Elton, Mar 1912 quarter, Pancras, 1b/178
First marriage: Jessie Gardner to perhaps Thomas William Beesley, Mar 1902 quarter, Pancras, 1b/59
death: Thomas William Beesley, aged 28, Mar 1909 quarter, Edmonton district, 3a/313

Also, the 1881 census does show a Jessie Gardner, aged 1, with parents Frederick and Matilda, in the right sort of area, but it's tricky to say if this is her or not without details from one of her marriage certificates.  (not just father's details,  but witnesses, too).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jesgardner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 December 08 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the help given so far. I don't have a marriage certificate for her  but a distant cousin I think did have and I only have notes from a conversation with her some time ago.

I am sure jorose has found the right lady. How do I find out if Frederick and Matilda had other children  and where did they come from?

Offline Mum44

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 December 08 17:17 GMT (UK) »

Jess -  I really do think that before we rush off and build you a family based on Fred and Matilda - you need to be certain that her father was Fred and not William   ;)  :D
Census information is Crown Copyright from TNA.
Titchfield, Hampshire: Reed,  Fielder, Cawte, Goddard.
Kent:  Float,  Cutbush. 
Wallasey, Cheshire: Carroll, Ledsham.
Liverpool : Horsfall, Prescott

Offline jesgardner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 December 08 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Speaking to one of Jessie's surviving children, she says that she thinks Jessie's brother was called Jim - not Tom. ( She only met him once)
I may have access to the second wedding certificate for Jessie at Xmas and will keep you posted on any other information I can find. Jessie never spoke about her parents. She was keen helping the Salvation Army. and wore the uniform some times.

Offline jesgardner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 January 09 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I have made some progress with this search and have located a birth certificate showing that Jessie was born at 1 Sandwich Street near St Pancras on 12th August 1880. Her father was William Gardner, a housepainter and her mother Catherine Gardner formerly Gowans (the G is not too clear on the copy I have) given as being resident at 1 Sandwich Street near St Pancras .
Jessie  was living at 84 Islip Street when she married for the 2nd time on the 17th February 1912 but I am unsure where she spent her childhood. (It is just possible she was living in Edinburgh on the Royal Mile at some stage as she spoke of it to one of her daughters.)
 I would like to find out if Jessie had a brother and whether he had any children. I would also like to find out where and when her parents were born and when they died. Do the censuses help with this? Any further help will be much appreciated.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 January 09 23:56 GMT (UK) »
freebmd.rootsweb.com does show a possible marriage in 1871 in Pancras district:

Sept. quarter 1871, Catherine Gowans and William Gardner, both with reference Pancras district, volume 1b page 26

In 1871 there's a Catherine Gowans, aged 22, a parlour maid b. Edinburgh and living at 53 Woburn Place, St. George Bloomsbury (worked for William P Joliffe, barrister, and his family - they kept three servants according to the census, Catherine and also a housekeeper and a cook). (RG10/338 66/10)

I can't see them in 1881 but in 1891 I think they're in St. Pancras  - can't get the full info but on A**** they appear to be indexed with Jessie as "Tossie Gardner", also William, Catherine b. Scotland, and not one but three brothers for her - William b. 1873, John b. 1875, Thomas b. 1877 (all b. London?)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk