Author Topic: What is the most interesting occupation in your family tree? (#1: locked)  (Read 72104 times)

Offline nora T

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most interesting occupation in you family tree?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 16 October 04 17:46 BST (UK) »
lock keeper on the shropshire union canal, my husbands g,g, grandad, also one female ancestor was , school monitor. clever clogs, regards nora T
i am researching the timmis family salop. staffs, and cheshire, also the culverwell family, congleton cheshire,and staffs.also jervis, jarvis, staffs and wales,also reece, staffs and dudley

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 October 04 17:59 BST (UK) »
Amongst the ag. labs, coachmen, grooms, carpenters, shipwrights, caulkers, linen drapers, Royal Marine etc, there was a vicar (of Ticehurst in Sussex), a woad man in Northamptonshire, a parchment maker in Buckinghamshire area.  And way back, a Master of Horse to Henry VIII - also MP for Sussex and Gentleman of the Privy Bedchamber to Edward VI.  As an occupation, I think that should go down as keeping his head!

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 October 04 20:00 BST (UK) »
A teazle grower would be a farmer or small holder who grew the prickly teazel plant which was used in the woollens industry to raise the nap on cloth - g-d knows why!

Have you ever felt a dried Teazel, hack?   it's rock hard and very spikey. ( and a nightmare to get rid of if you have them growing in the garden).  It was used as a hairbrush too.
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline teddybear1843

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 October 04 21:20 BST (UK) »
In a village in Norfolk, the Vicar tended to be a little honest in his descriptions of people and my ancestor was a fishmonger thankfully.  The Miller was "Teddy the Grinder"  One man who fathered at least a couple of bastard children was "Tom Town Bull"  The Miller's bit on the side was "Whore and Mantrap"  One chap was a "Cucumber Cutter"  The Publican was a "Beggar-Maker" etc etc.

These are all true transcripts from  a Parish Register of the late 1820's 1830's.  By the way, the Vicar described  himself as "Philosopher"

My lot were mainly Agricultural Workers in one way or another but my favourite was a Wool Comber.

Teddybear1843
Bear, Burrows, Burroughs, Goll, Mayes, Yull, Bacon, Harvey, Fenn, Youngman, Jary, Lake, Chesney, Yaxley, Freestone, Briggs, Carrington, Frarey, Blaxter, Bennefer, Gosman, Howard, Wildman, Woodbine, Jessop, Taylor, Walpole, etc etc  all in Norfolk.
Weasenham village history and families connected to the villages of Weasenham All Saints & Saint Peter in Norfolk.  Happy to carry out research in Norfolk.  Please PM for details.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 16 October 04 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Fitty - as a quite keen gardener I loath all invader plants of any kind and teazels, thistles come under that heading. But, yes - when I was a kid on a farm they grew in all the drystone walls and would stick to one's woollen clothing like mad. Imagine growing them!
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 16 October 04 23:30 BST (UK) »
I got a S*** Shoveller as well!  Well he is a Manure Warehouseman on his second marriage - nowadays that would be a Senior Faecal Technician I'm sure.

Other than Michael Fallen above with his poo, I have ag labs, masons, glovers, & potters (as in dealers) galore!

Nowt much else outside them either.

Pam
 ;D

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline nutkin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My reason for digging! Two nutkins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 16 October 04 23:37 BST (UK) »
I have a rat catcher who made enough money to open a pub called "the Dog and Rat Public House".  I guess he and his dog did okay killing vermin.
George William Burke.. my missing link!! son of Wm Burke & Mary Jane Stone/Morris
Shields & Milner- Patrington  & Bilton, Yorkshire<br />Nixon & Bowers - Appleby, Broughton & Messingham, Lincolnshire<br />Hancock &Tyson- Tetford, Skendleby & Spilsby, Lincolnshire<br />Cochrane- Darvel, Loudon, Ayrshire<br />Yuill, Hardie- Paisley, Renfrewshire<br />Kennedy, Gardener & Clelland- Glasgow, Lanarkshire & Paisley, Renfrewshire<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchive

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 17 October 04 01:05 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather was the Town Crier of Oswestry, can't find out much else about him though, but I will!!!!!!!!!
Viv
 ::) ::) ::)
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 17 October 04 01:08 BST (UK) »
Nutkin,  I think i've mentioned this somewhere before but my grandad was a rat catcher and he made a small fortune by coursing them.  They would take the live rats to a field then let them, go one by and bet on whos dog would catch them first.      :o
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe