Author Topic: Binfield 1801 Census  (Read 26827 times)

Offline meoow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Binfield 1801 Census
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 June 09 01:14 BST (UK) »
Hi jillruss
I'm not sure if we've been in touch before, perhaps on another site...
My grandfather's side of the family are also Crockfords & go back to 1548~Thomas Crockford.
The Benjamin you have been chasing is my 4 X GreatGrandfather.
Chat soon

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 June 09 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi, and welcome to Rootschat.

It's a good probabliity that we've been in touch before about the Crockfords - difficult to tell with your username!

I've also got as far back as Thomas Crockford. Benjamin is also my greatx4 grandfather. I'm descended from his son James Crockford and his wife Elizabeth (nee Horwood).

Does that ring any bells?  ???

Anyway, let me know if you think we haven't already been in touch, and we can compare notes.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline meoow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 02:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill
I've just found you in my Genes messages... we talked way back in Oct 2007! I have a feeling we're actually 4th Crockford cousins! Unfortuanately I don't have access to your tree on Genes so I can't fill in the missing links...

I'm the one with the Benjamin Crockford my 3 x Great Grandfather who was found drowned in the Serpentine! (Kirstin Walden Crockford). Would you like an update on him & did I ever send you the newspaper report of his inquest... that I promised you?

My laptop died in February, the motherboard had to be replaced & unfortunately I had no chance to back up all my files (most of them were safe... wheew!)... some of my saved emails were lost so I have no records of what I sent before Dec 2008.
Let me know if you're interested.
Nice to touch base again
Cousin Kirst

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Kirst.

I remember! Yes - you did send me the newspaper cutting for poor Benjamin jnr - it looked very much like suicide, didn't it - poor chap.

I haven't got my family tree on Genes anymore as I'm no longer a member but I seem to remember we had very much the same research results - which is comforting!!  ;D

I've been concentrating on my Yorkshire ancestors just recently but, prior to that, had looked again at some of the Crockford wives - particularly Benjamin Snr's wife Ann Pottenger and, of couse, Elizabeths Holt & Knife.

Have you researched the female lines as well?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline meoow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill
Thankgoodness some one remembers me LOL..
The only bit of female line I've really got is Elizabeth Knife's parents... because it was her father Richard Knife that built Crockford's Cottage. He was a surgeon & her mother was Mary Tecknor... you've probably already got this info ~ if you find out anything else I'd be very interested to hear about it.
Kirst

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Binfield 1801 Census - WHEELER, KNIBB, CARTER, LONG?
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I am completely stuck trying to unravel the ancestors of my great-great grandfather agricultural/brickmaker's labourer Isaac WHEELER c1822 of Binfield, son of Mary WHEELER and "father unknown", and grandson of Elizabeth WHEELER (possibly nee KNIBB?), c1775 of "Watin", Warwickshire.

I am also interested in the CARTERs and LONGs of Binfield.

Someone has suggested looking at the 1801 census for Binfield as this, unusually, still exists and had names listed. 

Before visiting the Berkshire Records Office I would be very grateful indeed if anyone here could look for any WHEELERs, KNIBBs, CARTERs or LONGs listed in the 1801 census.

Names/families of particular interest include:

Mary WHEELER, between 0 and 30 years old, probably.
Isaac WHEELER, ag lab, born c1780.
Elizabeth KNIBB, born c1775.
Isaac WHEELER, born c1760 or before, and wife Jane.

William CARTER, c1781, haybinder/ag lab, and wife Hannah (possibly nee WILLABY?).

John LONG, ag lab, christened 16 May 1784, Binfield, and wife Ann.
William LONG, born before c1760, and wife Elizabeth (nee ATTY?)

These three families appear to have intermarried a couple of times in the early 1800s so I'd be very interested in any information on any of them.

Thanks very much!

Therese.
Berkshire: Atty, Carter, Dowlin, Knibb, Long, Wheeler.
Devon: Channon, Dunsford, Hawkins, James, Payne, Pope, Snow, Willis, Wilson.
Bristol/Bedminster: Hawkins.
Cambridgeshire: Randall, Squires.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Somerset: Adams, Allen, Lockyer, Savage.
Warwickshire: Knibb.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 10:40 BST (UK) »
           :D Hello Therese,
  A warm welcome to Rootschat.

This 1801 is more an address book, with the families in Alphabetical order.  :P
  I have a few snippets of the 1801 'census'  and there are some pieces further back 'replies' for Carter. I did look and have 1 small family Wheeler.

When you have posted 3 posts you will be able to send Personal Msg, via name to the side.

Lesanne.  :D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for this.  :)

It sounds like this might be a trail worth following.  There are a couple of people here who have a copy of the whole thing for Binfield, no?

I will go back and take a look at the earlier replies re CARTER.

Could I ask you what the names (and any other info) were for the "small WHEELER family" in your part of the census?

Again, many thanks!  :)

Therese.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
I have now read the fascinating paper on migration mentioned towards the top of this thread and a visit to the BRO has increased in likelihood as it appears that they have a great deal of information on Binfield in the second half of the 1700s - 1801.  This may eventually be far more interesting than just ploughing through Parish Records. 

The WHEELER/CARTER/LONG families of Binfield were the "unknown" 25% of my tree, but perhaps they may become the most informative. 

According to the data I have seen, the CARTERs and LONGs, at least, should have been residents of Binfield during the 1750-1801 period.

I just hope that, unlike my grandfather Wilfrid Long WHEELER, they do not turn out to have been such "undeserving paupers" that no-one has bothered to mention them in any of these surveys!  (I have yet to figure out where or when he died, for instance!)

I looked again at Robert CARTER who died in 1801, above, and since the earliest CARTER in my tree is William CARTER c1781, I don't know if there is any link between them or not. 

The only thing I do know about William CARTER c1781 is that in the 1841 census his "residence" was The Shoulder of Mutton public house, Binfield, with only his 15 year old daughter Elizabeth (my great-great grandmother), and in 1861 he was 80 years old and an inmate of an Easthampstead institution which I assume was the poor house.

All very interesting...

Therese.