Author Topic: British Military Mission in Omsk, 1919  (Read 2603 times)

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
British Military Mission in Omsk, 1919
« on: Friday 26 December 08 13:14 GMT (UK) »
A cousin, Wilfred Stone, has some connection with the British Military Mission in Omsk, Siberia during the Bolshevic Revolution in 1919. I'm looking for any info beyond online resources (general descriptions of events only) that may explain his role (no specific military knowledge known). Photo shows him on roof of BMM, and reverse is shown stating who took it (although I can't read the name beyond a Sgt in the RFA).

Thanks,
Mark

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
Re: British Military Mission in Omsk, 1919
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 December 08 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

Omsk was one of the key bases for the anti-communists during the Russian Civil War. Both Britain and the US had military missions there to train the anti-communist forces and he was probably involved in that. I don't think the British forces were directly involved in the fighting in Siberia, unlike on the western front of Russia.

For some basic details try searching for Russian Civil War and British Involvement.

A friend has a copy of Churchill's Crusade: The British Invasion of Russia, 1918-1920, and I will have a look through it when I see him in a couple of days.

K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 December 08 13:40 GMT (UK) »
I'd appreciate anything you can find.
Based on the recent 1911 census I have just been able to confirm his full name as Wilfred J STONE and was born in West Ham, Essex (E. London) in 1894, making him abt 25 years in the photo. I haven't found him referred to in any Military resources, and I suspect from family rumour he re-enlisted in WW2 and was part of the campaign in Burma (survived). He never married so no idea where his mementos went when he died in the 1980's.

Mark

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 December 08 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark, The name looks like Sgt Wheatley. Perhaps you may be able to trace him?  :)

Offline kyt

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.cfww2.com Commonwealth Forces of WW2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 January 09 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Mark

I've had a look at Churchill's Crusade and though there are plenty of mentions to the Mission at Omsk, they tend to be about the polotical activities, and general military activities rather than information on specific units. There is no comprehensive list of units in the book, and aspart from generic mentions to the artillary I haven't found anything of direct use. But it seems that the Mission's main duties at the time of the photo was providing protection to the large supply dumps for the anti-communist forces, to train the anti-communist Russian forces, and as protection for the Political elements of the British Mission. There was a bit of direct military involvement in the fighting but not that I can find for any artillery units.

Having said that the book is excellent as a history of that campaign.

K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 January 09 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your review, anyway.
Happy New Year!

Regards,
Mark