Author Topic: Tillen, Tillin, Tilling of Bucklebury, Berkshire  (Read 4219 times)

Offline Vicwinann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tillen, Tillin, Tilling of Bucklebury, Berkshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 December 08 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I have just come back from a few days away and I think, but haven't got the proof yet, that these Tillens are linked to my Lyfords and Sellwoods
The (George and) Ann Wyles that Christina is with in 1891 is Ann Sellwood, and I have  many unconnected bits and peices suggesting  that there are other links.
Does anyone know who Charles 1857's father was?  I suspect that it might be Nathan (Nathaniel) or one of his children. Can someone look for Charles in 1861, please?

Rotosis, perhaps you would like to send me a private message.
Regards
Vicwinann
Sellwood Berkshire Oxon Lancs Wilts; Cassell Berkshire and Guildford; Leighs Guildford and London; Saunders Portsea, Greenwich and Deptford ; Austin Cookham; Osgood Berkshire; Dack Norfolk; Darling Berkshire and Mapledurham; Wilkins Englefield Berks; Havenhand Derbys; Whileman Derbys; Reedman Derbys, Notts, Australia, Africa; Rottenberry Deptford and Devon;

Offline rotosis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Tillen, Tillin, Tilling of Bucklebury, Berkshire
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 December 08 21:00 GMT (UK) »
HI Vicwinann

I can answer that question for you, due to another link with someone else, and researching at the local library which gives me free world access...........yay

Charles Tillen was born Charles Lyford in 1857, his father was Francis Lyford according to the 1861 census, he also had a brother  called James Lyford born 1860, both children...........born out of wedlock........are the sons of Emma Tillen his then Housekeeper.  They married in 1863, so all other children were legal.  In 1871 Census Charles is still a Lyford.

Still not sure why Charles Lyford (Tillen) changed his name by time of the 1881 census, bit of a mystrey.  If you ned anything else let me know and i shall see what i can find or already have.

My connection is through Charles's youngest son Charles Ernest Levy Tillen, he married my G Aunt

Hope this helps

Claire
Wifes side    
Bayley (Wem & Chester & Canada), Davies(Llandgela), Price (Shropshire), Evans, Healey (Sligo Ireland) Harrison (Cheshire), Brereton (Haslington, Cheshire), Ford (Mow Cop/Haslington, Cheshire)

Husbands side
Plaisted (London UK, Australia & New Zealand), Gillbanks (England to New Zealand) Ridley (Kent to New Zealand) Gordon (Perth Scotland to New Zealand), Hill (Antrim Ireland to New Zealand) Alfuth/Alford (Kokoszki, Poland to New Zealand) Hoppy (Germany? to New Zealand)