Author Topic: evans family  (Read 60334 times)

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: evans family
« Reply #63 on: Monday 12 March 12 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann Marie & Justin,

Ship called "Isalt" wrecked off Courttown Harbour early Dec. 1974. Thomas's body was washed ashore 25th December, 1974. His son John (Jack) and another Dublin boy were the only survivors.   The owner's body was never found. See national newspapers for December 1974.  Ballymoney Strand, Courttown, Co. Wexford.

"...'Issalt' a three masted schooner 134 tons, with a cargo of fertiliser, struck rocks at Ballymoney strand near Courttown Co Wexford. Ref. b e" m  Wrecks off Co Wexford.  She was bound for Caribbean.

Headstone on Grave No. 331 Rathnew Cemetery, Merrymeeting, Rathnew, Co Wicklow             
   “In Loving Memory of | THOMAS CORKISH | St. Dominic’s Rd. Wicklow | who was
    drowned | at Ballymoney, Co. Wexford | 4th December 1947. | also his son ROBERT
    CORKISH | who died 29th May 1947. | his wife JULIA CORKISH | died 31st March
    1966. | THERESA (TESS) CORKISH | died 24th Dec. 1997 | aged 67 yrs. | R.I.P. |
    Erected by EVELYN, MARGARET | THOMAS and JOHN.”

Julia Evans [1886-1966] was married to Thomas Corkish and they had 12 know children between 1911 and 1930. Both are buried in Gr.No. IV L 1064 Rathnew Cemetery, Merrymeeting, Rathnew, Co Wicklow. In 1966 when Julia called 'Bab' died, she had 80 Grandchildren & 38 Great Grand Children, (Ned Kane, Funeral Director's Records, in my possession)

Richard Ayres (Earnest / Erris) Evans (c1861/71 - 12 Nov 1923) and Margaret Doyle (1860 – 1937) were married in St. Patrick's R.C. Church, Wicklow 22 Oct 1879 witnesses were John Evans & Sarah Burton.

Death Cert for Ernest states he died from "Gallstones 3 days Peritonitis", age 61 yrs, occ. labourer, Margaret Evans, widow present at death. Eastern Health Board (E.H.B) records.
   Rathdrum & Wicklow Joint Burial Board Records Entry No 742
              "Ernest Evans R.C. Gamekeeper, died 12th November 1923 in County Hospital, Wicklow.
               Buried in grave no IV L 1064.  Death registered by Margaret Evans.”

Rathdrum & Wicklow Joint Burial Board Records Entry No 742
              "Margaret Evans R.C. widow died 16th February 1937 at 4 St Bride's Tce. Wicklow
              Age 81 yr [bc 1856] Buried in grave no IV L 1064. Death registered by Julia Corkish entry no 1465”

C 1901 b2 Monckton Row Upper 62/31: Private Dwelling, 1 window in front of 3rd class house, 2 rooms occupied by 9 persons:
No out offices: all 9 were Roman Catholic, born Wicklow all children single. Only daughter Margaret could read & write.

1 Earnest Evans, head of household, age 40 yrs [bc 1861] General Labourer, Married
2 Margaret [nee Doyle] Evans wife, age 41 yrs [bc 1860] married
3 Margaret Evans daughter, age 20 yrs, Kitchen maid, domestic servant, single
4 John Evans, son, age 17 yrs, Agricultural labourer.
5 Julia (Bab) Evans daughter, age 15 yrs, general domestic servant,
6 Mary Evans daughter, age 13 yrs, laundress
7 Samuel Evans, son, age 10 yrs, scholar
8 Ernest Evans, son, age 5 yrs, scholar
9 Bridget Doyle, Boarder R.C. could not read or write age 6 yrs scholar. Was Bridget a niece of Margaret’s?

c 1911 b16  Monckton Row Upper 65/31:  Erris  R.C. Still only 40 yrs Lab. m 35 yrs 9 children born 4 living.
All 3 were Roman Catholic, born Wicklow 

1 Earnest Evans, head of household, age 40 yrs [bc 1861] General Labourer, Married
2 Margaret [nee Doyle] Evans wife, age 57 yrs [bc 1860] married 35 yrs [mc 1876] 9 children born 4 alive
3 Margaret Evans daughter, age 23 yrs, no occupation listed, single.
   Other children Where?
              Essie born c 1881 in Wicklow
              John Evans, son, age 27 yrs, where not on parents census?
               Julia (called Bab) Evans daughter, age 25 yrs, at work c 1911 b4 Church Hill, Wicklow 65/51 age 23 yrs
   Mary Evans daughter, age 23 yrs, 
   Samuel Evans, son, age 20 yrs, born 1891 in Wicklow died May 1915.
      “9724. Pte. Samuel Evans 1st Batt. Leinster Regt. Age 24 yr. Killed in action 4th May 1915 at Loos. 
        Son of Ernest and Margaret Evans, of Colley Street, Wicklow. No known grave.
        Commemorated on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.”
        Thanks to their Gr-grandson John Goodman for the above information
    Ernest Evans, son, age c15 yrs,
           Bridget Doyle, age c16 yrs.

Parents of Richard Ayres (Earnest / Erris) Evans (c1861/71 - 12 Nov 1923)  = John Evans and Mary Lawless

See page 2 of Evans family on Rootschat.com   Love to hear from you.

Julia
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline nitsuj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Monday 12 March 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
hi julia
great info, as usual
john evans is not on the 1911 census as he was posted in india at the time
and i`m sure i found a census for 1911 where julia was in service
good to hear from you again
justin
evans, lawless,
butterly, quinn, coyle, lawless,byrne

Offline Anne-MarieF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Julia,

Absolutely wonderful information!  Thank you so, so much.  You have just told me who my great, great, great grandparents are!   John Evans and Mary Lawless.  Do you know anything else about them?

Do you know if there are any photos available of Richard / Earnest?   

It's amazing how much you have already told me.  Lovely to meet you here.  Where are you living now?  Are you also a family member?

Thanks again,

Anne-Marie
Forker, Morgan, Evans, Corkish

Offline nitsuj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 13 March 12 22:47 GMT (UK) »
hi anne-marie
i have photos of john evans and his wife ann marie lawless his wife
these are my grandparents
justin
evans, lawless,

Offline J.M. Flannery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne Marie,

Glad to be of some help. I was helped along the way in tracing a grand uncle in Main, USA, by a kind lady who I had never met, and the only way I can say thank you is to try and help others.

My mother always said "if someone does you a good turn, do someone else a good turn and the world would be a better place."

Julia nee Evans and Thomas Corkish's 3rd child Tommy is my son-in-laws father. I new Julia growing up also most of their children. In fact their 7th child Maggie taught me how to walk at the age of 9 mths before she went to live in Northern Ireland, that was not yesterday, ha ha, as I am now in my 70s.

Being the 4th generation living in the same house, & being in business in the same place is a great help in getting to know the locals and their families which I have been interested in for about 25 yrs at least.
I am quite parochial as my interest is mainly Wicklow Town. I would love to be of assistance to any ex Wicklow Town persons, if I can.

I am a founder member of our local Wicklow Genealogical Society, we are a small group of like minded people who meet once a month in Wicklow and discuss our problems and try to help one another. I have also connected a descendant of the Evans family here in  Wicklow to other members and they have met up. If you know anyone living near Wicklow Town they are more than welcome to came and meet us the 3rd Wednesday of each month in Ozram House, The Mall, Wicklow Town, next door to St. Vincent De Paul Shop at 8.30 p.m. Our next meeting is Wednesday next the 21st March. P.G. Keep in touch.

Regards

Julia
Murray of Arklow.

Offline J.M. Flannery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin,

I would love to see photos of John and his wife Marie Lawless to pass on to my son-in-law John Corkish and his children

Julia
Murray of Arklow.

Offline nitsuj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
hi julia
great little family memories there
i love that sort of thing
and i may make my way down to wicklow for one of your meetings one day
justin
evans, lawless,

Offline Anne-MarieF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Friday 16 March 12 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julia,

I like that saying very much indeed.  Your mother was a wise woman.  I'll be sure to carry on that chain of good turns!

How far back does your knowledge of the Evans family go?  Maggie, who taught you how to walk, is my grandmother!  My mother is called Julia (although she goes by her middle name Miriam).

Thank you very much indeed for the invitation to the Wednesday meetings.  I would love to go, however I now live in Brighton.  At some point this year or certainly next I'll be planning a trip to see Powerscourt, and would love to meet you, either at that Wednesday meeting or otherwise, if that's okay with you, of course.

What wonderful things I have found out from you!  Thanks again.  Would love to see any photos, if you have any.

All the best,

Anne-Marie

Offline Anne-MarieF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 16 March 12 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know who Thomas Corkish's parents are?  Born 1885 in Isle of Man. Thanks