Author Topic: evans family  (Read 60322 times)

Offline nitsuj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: evans family
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 16 June 12 13:02 BST (UK) »
got a birth cert for an uncle i only discovered about a while ago, john (jack) Evans, (my fathers brother)
he was meant to have died in Baltinglass hospital at approx 14 in 1941
contacted Baltinglass hospital but, as seems to be the case in searching for records, a fire destroyed all records in 1947
the records office in Lombard street had no record/cert of the death, which i thought they would have
ah well back to the drawing board
evans, lawless,
butterly, quinn, coyle, lawless,byrne

Offline Anne-MarieF

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 02 July 12 18:13 BST (UK) »
Very interesting Julia.  I'm hoping to learn more about the Manx relatives.  Your story about my granny teaching you how to walk has gone down very well with my family in Belfast!
Forker, Morgan, Evans, Corkish

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann-Marie F and Nitsuj,

We had a very successful fundraiser on Sunday last. A small committee headed by your cousin John Goodman are trying to have a memorial erected to all who fought or were involved in any conflict concerning both Wicklow men and woman, of all religions. There was an exhibition with lots of photos, I must say mainly of men in uniform, and some good stories. This is the first of many we hope to have in order to eventually open a museum in the town.

At one stage there were three Celtic Crosses and two of them are still visible on the roof of St. Patrick’s Church. The third was a much bigger and heavier cross about 6ft tall, which stood on the 2nd terrace in the front of our church. Local lore said ‘it was meant to be put on top of the church but was too heavy to lift on to the roof’.  We have pictures of it, but for some reason in the 1950's it was removed.

During Fr. Blake’s term of office as P.P. in Wicklow (1949-1959) he did a lot of very good work in the parish church and grounds. The church was surrounded by very large trees which he had removed to open up the dark and dismal grounds. Rumour has it that he “did not like the ‘Sheila-na-gigs’ on this granite cross”, so had it removed and buried in the church grounds: where exactly is not know at the moment. A lot of people remember it but cannot say where it was buried. With the permission and encouragement from our present P.P. and the help of Dr. Greame Warren, Lecturer in the College of Arts & Celtic studies, School of Archaeology, Belfield, Dublin, we are endeavouring to locate it. If anyone out there has any idea where it is buried we would be grateful.

To get back to genealogy, is S M still working on the family tree?  She visited the Library on the IOM some years ago and gave them information on Thomas Philip (bc 1884 IOM) who married Julia (Bab) Evans. She and I exchanged information a long time ago but have since lost touch. I would be nice to get in touch with her again.

I would love to know more about Bab (Julia's) husband Thomas Philip. Where in the IOM was he born? His father Jack was killed by Ramsey Lifeboat, he was one of the launching crew when? I would also like to know something about Maggie & Joseph Morgan's children - Your Aunts and Uncles - to place you into this tree please.

Nitsuj what was your mother's christian & maiden name also your Grandmother Elizabeth ? I have lots of gaps in the tree that I would love to fill.

Julia

*Name edited my moderator
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 18:51 BST (UK) »
Nitsuj what was your mother's christian & maiden name

For security it would probably be better to exchange details like this by Personal Message.

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline J.M. Flannery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Shanew 147, will do in future.
Murray of Arklow.

Offline bgoodman

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 27 July 12 23:16 BST (UK) »
Sorry but this may not be related at all. I read the name John Goodman from Wicklow in your comments. I am on the Hertfordshire uk site as bgoodman. Is there any chance that John Goodman could be related to my Goodman family from Rickmansworth.

Offline penderiki

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Sunday 29 July 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
Just some information on the Corkish family.....

The Parents of Thomas Corkish were....
Henry Corkish and Elizabeth Garret

The Parents of Henry were...
John Corkish and Elizabeth Magee

and Elizabeth's Parents were...
Hugh Magee and Elizabeth Skillicorn

I picked up this on some Isle of Man Sites...it might at least point in the right direction

Offline J.M. Flannery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Monday 30 July 12 14:56 BST (UK) »
Great work Penderiki, any dates for these people?
Julia.
Murray of Arklow.

Offline G Corkish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 03:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julia

I was reading this about my great grandfather and noticed you have done a lot of research on behalf of your son in law who happens to be my uncle by any chance could I pick your brains for the information you have gathered

Regards
Geraldine
Corkish,Armstrong,