Author Topic: The George Inn at Battle  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Legacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The George Inn at Battle
« on: Tuesday 30 December 08 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Does anybody know of a written history of this Inn or a newspaper article, anything? Am looking for evidence regarding it belonging to the SMITH family between c.1700-c.1800. I have three wills ( 1713, 1740 and 1762 ) by a Smith line referring to it, and believe this line is partly collateral to mine.
My ancestor was Richard Smith who married in Brede in 1732, probably the Richard born to Thomas Smith, Innkeeper of the George in Battle.
Cheers
Sedlescombe- Smith, Bryant,
Ewhurst- Smith, Goodsell
Mountfield - Smith & Baker
Brede - Smith & Crouch

Offline petmas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • We wunt be druv
    • View Profile
Re: The George Inn at Battle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 December 08 09:41 GMT (UK) »
Documents at ESRO  BUR/2/1/147 Valuation Book George Inn Battle  Stevens Shith-Hyland/Couchman Sept/Oct 1865

Charles Emery in 1832
Pete
Mason ( Leics, Lincs, Cambs, Rutland)  Packer( Berks, Middx) Bearne, Vining , Sugar Shugar (Somerset, Pennsylvania & S Wales)

Offline Legacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 January 09 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks,

I will put this on my research list for the next trip to England, as I live in Canada.
Ewhurst- Smith, Goodsell
Brede - Smith & Crouch

Offline Mietta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 July 10 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hello

I was interested to see a mention of the Smith family and the George Inn of Battle as I also have copies of wills of  a Thomas, Thomas and Thomas  [Smith]for the dates mentioned.  Thomas Smith [1762] refers to his sister Jane Meopham who is my ancestor.  Have not yet got any further back.

Libby Richardson

Offline Legacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 10 21:04 BST (UK) »
Thomas Smith (1713 ) mentions the George, as does Thomas ( 1740) & Thomas ( 1762 ). I now have that of Edward (1768), James (1750) & Thomas ( 1696 ). No Mepham who married a Smith in the Sussex Marriage Index unfortunately.
There is a Mary Mepham who married Edward Smith in 1726 at Whatlington, being a widow of a Dunk.
Ewhurst- Smith, Goodsell
Brede - Smith & Crouch

Offline Mietta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 July 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for checking the Sussex Marriage Index for a Smith/Meopham marriage. There is areference inFamilysearch to the marriage of a Mrs Jane Smith to John Mepham at Battle in 1745 but I have not seen the original register and she would not be Mrs Jane Smith.
otherwise it would fit.
The Smiths are difficult to unravel- I suspect they moved to Battle,  but from where?
Am still hunting for information on The George

Cheers

Libby

Offline Legacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Libby
Yes, there are many different Smith lines in the East Sussex area and I have done some work on sorting them out. So far I have about 6 major lines and 6 minor ones.
Yes it is the right couple; see below, I do not know why it did not turn up in my first search;

S.M.I.  Place: Ashburnham, East Sussex, Date: 13 Mar 1745/6:
Subject: John MEPHAM, Mr. Ninfield ( meaning he is from Ninfield )
Spouse: Jane SMITH, Mrs. Battle ( meaning she is from Battle.)

This is where it becomes interesting for me, and is based more on circumstantial evidence then hard facts. From all the deductions using the SMI and other resources, it would appear that my ancestor Richard Smith ( 1705-1787) was a younger son of Thomas who died in 1739 ( innkeeper of the George ). He is not named in the will of Thomas, but a Charles and a Thomas whom he leaves the Inn to. Your Jane was the youngest of this family, born 1709 in Battle.
At least this is how I see it with the sources available now.
Ewhurst- Smith, Goodsell
Brede - Smith & Crouch

Offline nikkiwabit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 17:40 GMT (UK) »
I have a photo of a board in The George Inn in Battle listing the landlords, that my parents took when they visited some time ago now. The went because a couple of my descendants (Thomas the Jane Slatter were innkeepers 1739 -1770). The name before is Thomas Smith with the dates 169? / 1712. I have attached it  for you

Offline Legacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 08 December 11 00:06 GMT (UK) »
This is quite the find. Thank you very much for sharing that interesting list of Landlords of the George Inn. I wonder if it is still there, as both times I was in Battle, the restaurant was closed?
The Slatter name is mentioned in two of the Smith wills that I have, in Thomas Smith 1740 and Thomas Smith 1762.

Imprimis I give and devise unto my dear and loving Wife Mary Smith All those my Peices or Parcells of Land commonly called the Parke Crofts late Russells with the appurts Situate lying in the Parish of Batell aforesaid now in the Occupation of Thomas Slatter and also all that Barn Garden and one peice or parcell of Land an containing about ffive Acres of Land more or less Situate lying and being in Battell aforesaid with all and singular the appurts there unto belonging in the Burrough of Sanglake there and now in the Occupation of my Self and Thomas Slatter…………
Item I give and devise unto my said Son Thomas Smith all that my Messuage or Tenement commonly called or known by the Name of the George Inn in Battell and all and singular the Oasthouse Stables Gardens and Orchards thereto belonging with the appurtenances both ffreehold and Copyhold and now in the Occupation of Thomas Slatter……12 June 1740

14 Sept. 1762---Item I give and devise unto my loving Sister Jane Mopham, widow all that my Messuage or Tenement called the George Inn with the Stables Brewhouse Garden yard promises and appurtenances thereunto belonging both freehold and Copyhold which Copyhold promises I have surrendered to the use of my last will situate in the Town of Battell aforesaid and now in the occupation of said Jane Slatter widow………
To it that hath usually been made two of and now in the occupation of the said Jane Slatter and also all those Lands called freehold and Russells situate in Battell aforesaid and in the Burrough of Sanglald there and also all that Messuage or Tenement with the Stables outhouse Gardens Yard and Buildings thereunto belonging situate in Battell aforesaid commonly called the Morphouse and now or late in the occupation of Jane Slatter and William Rand…

In looking at these wills, it would seem that the owner of the George Inn was Thomas Smith and the landlord or publican who ran it was Thomas Slatter and later Jane Slatter. Do you agree? I wonder if there was any relationship between the two families or was it simply business?
Again Thank you.
Ewhurst- Smith, Goodsell
Brede - Smith & Crouch