Author Topic: The George Inn at Battle  (Read 4773 times)

Offline nikkiwabit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The George Inn at Battle
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 08 December 11 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your information too. I agree with your interpretation of these pieces of information. I don't know if the board is still there as it was (judging by how much younger my brother looks in the same set of photos) at least 10 years ago. Another photo does suggest it is in the resturant and I note from the George Inn web site, it is again under new management. http://www.thegeorgehotelbattle.co.uk/
Well done also for managing to research a surname like Smith.

Offline Powellbris

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 May 12 12:48 BST (UK) »
I was very interested in the e-mail from nikkiwabit with the list of Landlords of The George.  My fathers name is the last one on the list before The George was sold to Trust Houses.

Offline mickslatter

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 January 23 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nikkiwabit,

I was fascinated by the list of landlords at The George....not least because I think I might be related to Jane and Thomas Slatter. I am a Slatter and can trace my family history back to Battle with a pretty fair degree of certainty to around 1750. I'd love to correspond to compare notes on our respective branches.
Mick

Offline jbrowntoros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 13 April 23 00:56 BST (UK) »
Dear Nikkiwabit,

I was fascinated by the list of landlords at The George....not least because I think I might be related to Jane and Thomas Slatter. I am a Slatter and can trace my family history back to Battle with a pretty fair degree of certainty to around 1750. I'd love to correspond to compare notes on our respective branches.
Mick

Hi Mick I am a direct descendant of Thomas Slatter (possibly spelled Slaughter in previous generations) and Jane. Through their daughter Sarah baptised early 1741 in Battle, who later married an Alderton. Happy to make contact to see what we each know.

Offline Legacy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 April 23 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hello to both of you. It was I who originally posted the request in 2008. My Ancestor was the first owner of the George Inn. I do not know exactly what is the connection between the Smith’s and Slatter’s, but this is from Thomas Smith’s will of 1740 citing the Slatter family.

Imprimis I give and devise unto my dear and loving Wife Mary Smith All those my Peices or Parcells of Land commonly called the Parke Crofts late Russells with the appurts Situate lying in the Parish of Batell aforesaid now in the Occupation of Thomas Slatter and also all that Barn Garden and one peice or parcell of Land an containing about ffive Acres of Land more or less Situate lying and being in Battell aforesaid with all and singular the appurts there unto belonging in the Burrough of Sanglake there and now in the Occupation of my Self and Thomas Slatter and also all those ffour Customary Copyhold fields with the Lodge and Close called Broomfield and Tanners Wish containing Twelve Acres more or less with the appurtenances holden of the Mannor of Battell ……

Item I give and devise unto my said Son Thomas Smith all that my Messuage or Tenement commonly called or known by the Name of the George Inn in Battell and all and singular the Oasthouse Stables Gardens and Orchards thereto belonging with the appurtenances both ffreehold and Copyhold and now in the Occupation of Thomas Slatter
Sedlescombe- Smith, Bryant,
Ewhurst- Smith, Goodsell
Mountfield - Smith & Baker
Brede - Smith & Crouch