Author Topic: 1901 census for Sussex.  (Read 3160 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census for Sussex.
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 01 January 09 09:31 GMT (UK) »
That's typical!  They are sent to try us  ::) ::)

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 01 January 09 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi geckogirl

I found the 1871 census for William and Sophia, but they seem to have a son Harry born 1865, have you checked out whether this Harry is in actual fact George and it is his middle name?

Perhaps you should order the birth certificate for the one born in Brighton.  :-\

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 January 09 09:41 GMT (UK) »
1881 he is called Henry

Kerry

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 January 09 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Do you have George's marriage certificate with his father's name on it?

Kerry

Offline geckogirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 January 09 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Kerry. you may be right, he could be Henry ! Yes I do have Georges marriage certificate and his father is down as William, deceased. I will do some more checking.
Sorry I called you Kirsty!!
I am beginning to resent George for giving me such agro. I will go through the records and find the vol. no. etc.
Happy New Year. :)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 01 January 09 14:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geckogirl, I wondered who Kirsty was  ;D I put it down to the season  ::)  Happy New Year to you too  :) ;)

Right so we know his father is definitely William and deceased, I can't remember if I found Sophia in 1891 I know I couldn't definitely find Henry/George or whoever he was.

Kerry

Offline mnmilt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 01 January 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Geckogirl,
From looking at the 1871 census records it appears that the William Verrall who married Sophia Turrell was born in Eastbourne in about 1841.  It is quite likely that this William Verrall is my great great greatuncle.  I hadn't done any research on him until your message inspired me to look a bit further.  Naturally, things aren't straightforward.

William Verrall is in the 1861 census with his family.  He isn't there in 1881, but Sophia is listed as married.  In 1891, Sophia is listed as a widow.  I haven't yet found a death certificate for William Verrall but will keep on looking.  There is a registration of a death in 1911 in Brighton District for a William Verrall b 1841 but it is highly unlikely that this the William that married Sophia.

The George Verrall who was born in Battersea (according to the 1881 census) is a mystery.  I'll look into this further.

I would have to discount the George Henry William Verrall whose birth was registered in 1863 from being the one that you are looking for.  The birth was in the same quarter as the marriage of William and Sophia (not that is strong evidence that he isn't the correct person).  However, there is a George HW Verrall b 1863 listed in the 1871 census but he is living with parents Charles C and Marion Verrall.  If I had to pick a birth to look into it would be George Harry Verrall (Brighton District, Sep Q 1864).

I am not surprised that you have been unable to find George in the 1901 census.  I have also had the same problem with a great uncle (Edgar Milton) who was in the Royal Sussex Regiment at the time of the 1901 census.

Out of curiosity, who were the witnesses on George's marriage certificate and what was William's occupation?

Regards

Mark
Milton - Brighton, Eastbourne
Foord - Westham, Ringmer
Sellens/Sellins/Sellings - Sedlescombe, Crowhurst
Cash - Tonbridge, Kent
Harding - Horsham
Bodle - Hailsham, Alfriston
Crowhurst - Hailsham, Westham
Roods/Roads/Rhodes - Hailsham, Westham
Sinnock - Hailsham
Silsby - Brighton
Thomas - Brighton
Tullett - Brighton
Verrall - Sussex

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 01 January 09 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Mark

Glad you are able to join the fray and hope you can help Geckogirl, this family has been on my mind all day, thinking about ways round the problem  ::)

Kerry

Offline geckogirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 02 January 09 07:22 GMT (UK) »
HI Mark. I am seriously thinking about getting George Harrys birth certificate.
I can tell you that the marriage certificate for George is very interesting. His witness was George Spencer Hibbs and his wife Susan Hibbs was Susan Morley. Now George married widow Elizabeth Ayling and she in fact is Susans sister.
With a name like Spencer Hibbs,  information is a lot easier. He and Susan had a son who was killed in WW1, I think 1917 , only about 18 years of age. I think he was in the Rifle Brigade and I think his father may have been a soldier too.
I had convinced myself that George died in the War too and promptly told the National Archives they had it wrong !! Then I discovered George turned up at his daughters wedding in 1921. Fortunately the National Archives ignored my letter and told me how to visit them. Didnt say if they would pay my air fare from Sydney though.I feel very strongly that Sophia and William are the right parents.
Its a puzzle though. Oh it says William was a mechanic dec.