Author Topic: Westgate St. IPSWICH - 1891.  (Read 40255 times)

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I swear it weren't me yer 'onour.
    • View Profile
Re: Westgate St. IPSWICH - 1891.
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Greensleeves.

I expected you to be relaxing with you feet up and a glass of something in your hand after a hard day's work.

Hello again Pat.

Boy have I got news for you two !

I followed up on your lead,Pat, for Robert Chambers in Ipswich. Nearest I could get on the 1881 census was in Normanton, which is a little village, almost a part of Newark.
He is there with his rather large family,headed by his ag. lab. father.

And guess who their next door but one neighbours are ...........................
...............The ASTILL family.

How's that for a coincidence!

Now treating myself to a small port and lemon. On second thoughts, hold the lemon.

I can't take much more of these coincidences. Surely one of them has to be right.

Greensleeves, I have a feeling that Annie was still alve and kicking in 1901 , in a Leeds
boarding house and she's spelled AUSTIN.

Kind regards, David.
Yorkshire: Riley, Holdstock, Smith, Turner, Pearson, Bailey, Swift.
Devon: Spry, Gimblett, Sleep, Wyvell(Wyvill), Fox, Kingsbear.
Lancashire; Squires (Swires ?).
Norfolk/Suffolk: Auston, Bedwell, Crooks, Charlish.
Essex: Auston,.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 08 January 09 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello yew tew t'gether  :)

Well I am so pleased that I thought of looking through the workers at the Footman's hostel - having had a similar find with our own family a few years back, I just wondered if there might be a connection to the Newark area.

Just back from Dad's and need to do some housework (our bedroom, bathroom and airing cupboard - which looks like an explosion in a towel factory).

Regarding eels, I too have very similar memories.  I was fascinated by them lying in a big 'baking tray' while Nan washed them and then cut them up - I could never understand why they moved about so much - well, I was only about five at the time too.

Off to have a hot chocolate (low cal) - it's still pretty cold and very foggy.

Dew yew hev a whully nice day.

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 08 January 09 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Now I'm back at work, I find my digging time seriously curtailed..... such a shame.  I fear, David, that I have nothing much to report but thought I'd put in an appearance anyway.  I'm currently concentrating on 86 Appletongate, Newark, to try to find out what kind of place it is/was.  Using the old map of Newark, I've been attempting to deduce where it would be.  As properties are numbered from left to right, and from the centre of town outwards, it would therefore seem probably that No. 86 would be on the right-hand side of the road going out of town.  It also must have been a fair way along.  I see we have the vicarage, Chantry House, and the Friary on that side, as well as land owned by Lord Middleton and the Duke of Newcastle.

Liked the Suffolk accent Pat.  Reminds me of the Suffolk saying for when you have had too much to eat:  "Carry Oi out, but don't bend Oi".....

Hope the port went down well, David.  I am contemplating a gin and tonic later...

Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 08 January 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Good evening Pat, Good evening Greensleeves.

First time on the computer today !  I was forced out of semi-retirement this morning to do some actual payed work. It was nice for a change - only happens once a week, on average - but this was the first since mid December.
My wife thought it was great to get me out from under her feet !

I'll just have an hour rooting about in the past and an early night - shock to the system and all that.

Anyway, blow the calories, Pat. Indulge yourself once the housework's done !

Greensleeves, please don't feel obligated to the search - you do as much or as little as you want. Just know that it is all very much appreciated.And that goes for you too Pat.

I think researching 86 Appletongate and its' occupants is definitely worthwhile, Greensleeves. This could give us new clues as well as putting meat on the bones of Annie's life.

I should have F.W.A's birth cert. by this time next week, so let's hope it's the one that we want.

Have a nice evening, regards, David.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 08 January 09 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi David - I am really enjoying this hunt - just a pity that work gets  in the way!  Hope you enjoyed doing a bit  yourself today!!!  I'll continue with the Appletongate hunt then, if it's okay by you.  I agree with you that if we could find out how she was living, it would certainly colour in her picture considerably.

Couldn't wait until later - have gin now.  Has been a difficult day at work with meetings.... I don't like meetings any more.  Have spent too many hours sitting in them.  When I retire I intend never to go to another one....

Greensleeves
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 08 January 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Has been a difficult day at work with meetings.... I don't like meetings any more.  Have spent too many hours sitting in them.  When I retire I intend never to go to another one....

Ah you say that now Greensleeves  ;)

Mmmm!  I am viewing a village community centre tomorrow afternoon at Elmswell and at 5pm I have a Committee Meeting for Suffolk Local History Council in Ipswich.  I am hoping to change the venue of my annual conference day for Local History Recorders around the county. Let's hope the Committee agree with me.
At least I do not have meetings with irate parents anymore  :)

Was talking to John this evening about Footman Pretty and Co, and he thinks that the upper floors of Footman's was in fact where the apprentices and assistants lived.

When he was researching his last book he discovered many assistants were housed in this way.

I am also getting hooked on discovering more about Annie (I think over the past 37 years we have found all our interesting ancestors).

Have a good day tomorrow both of you.

Cheerio!

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline onefortheroad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 09 January 09 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Good day to you both.

Well, after a good night's sleep, I was up and at the anc....y site first thing.

If you're happy with the Appletongate line Greensleeves, that's great with me.
Much appreciated. BTW, I don't know if Newark Council may have a department or records which may help. Just a thought.

I think I have to agree with your John, Pat. To house that number of assistants in any form of comfort would take something like he suggests.
Footman Pretty & Co aren't still in existence by any chance are they. Although
employment records from that era would probably have been lost years ago, do you think.

I was also wondering if the G. ASTILL of Boer War fame could have been the son of the neighbours of Robert Chambers in Newark. At least, that's the line I've been pursuing this morning.

Hope your meetings go well this afternoon, Pat. Incidentally, howmany books has John written?

I hope you've had any easier day today, Greensleeves. Still, it's the weekend tomorrow so a large G&T tonight Will be a good start to it.

Speak to you both later.

Regards, David.         

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 10 January 09 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi David and Pat - it's the weekend; I made it back to the land of the living once again!

Have not been doing anything other than dabbling this evening regarding  our solider, but have come up with the following possible candidates:
BIRTHS
George Astill, Nottingham, 1863
George Astill, Hinckley, 1865
George Henry Astill, Leicester, 1866
George H Astill, Sheffield, 1866
George A Astill, Birmingham, 1868
George Wm Astill, LEEDS, 1869
George Astill, Leicester 1871
George Astill, Barrow, 1871

MARRIAGES
George - Nottingham, 1881
George H - Basford (Nottingham) 1881
Geo Wm - Nuneaton, 1893

DEATHS
None of the above shown as dying in England over relevant period so this leaves our G Astill who we know died in South Africa.  But is he one of those listed above...?

To be continued...
Greensleeves

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 10 January 09 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Right, had a sip of wine,turned over pages of notepad and am ready to continue:

Looks from the 1881 census that the Nottingham Astleys actually originated from Leicestershire (most of them shown as having been born in Ashby-de-la-Zouch and suchlike).  But of course these places are quite close so it is not unreasonable that they could move about.

And finally.... I discover that there was a Constance G Astill in Nottingham circa 1900.  However, although I can pick her up on the search engine, I can't find any details about her.  But is this yet another coincidence....

I tell you David, this is driving me to drink... (Well, any excuse, I say!)   Cheers - hope you enjoyed your meetings the other day.  I am resolute that I shall never attend another when I am released from my labours, unless they include alcohol and no-one uses phrases like 'thinking outside the box', 'blue sky thinking', 'singing from the same hymn sheet' and so on. 

Greensleeves