Author Topic: LOOKING FOR TOWNLAND IN CASTLEISLAND PARISH-Horan and Twomey  (Read 3399 times)

Offline Twin52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
LOOKING FOR TOWNLAND IN CASTLEISLAND PARISH-Horan and Twomey
« on: Tuesday 30 December 08 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Would someone be able to help finding a townland for my ancestors who were from Castleisland Parish, Co. Kerry. Names are

1) Daniel Horan (parent) found listed in a christening record for 1/14/1849 for Castleisland for his son David (immigrated to Mass. USA 1850)

2) John Twomey (parent) found in several christening records between 1826-1835 for Castleisland (his wife was Catherine Horan) (immigrated to Mass. USA 1850)

3) Daniel Riordan-no record found but he was father in law of Daniel Horan
(remained in Ireland)
What I don't know is the name of the townland they were from (should be the same or close vicinity).

Does anyone have access to the baptismal parish registers for the period 1820s-1840s which would list the name of the townland where the baptism took place or where the parents were from or does anyone have access to the title applotment books for Castleisland which would again show a townland???

Any help or ideas is very much appreciated.

Offline GAJM

• I have turned off all notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING FOR TOWNLAND IN CASTLEISLAND PARISH-Horan and Twomey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 January 09 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Could find all that information in the Casey Collection next time I am in the library i will have a look.

Casey bibliography: Cork and Kerry Records in the Casey Collection
"O'Kief, Coshe Mang, Slieve Lougher and Upper Blackwater"

By the way did the family stay in Massachusetts if so could you give me approx dates of deaths etc. I have access to the Massachusetts vital records.

Offline Twin52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 January 09 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Gerard: Would really appreciate having that information from the Casey collection when you have a chance to get to the library.  I have had good success getting information from Massachusetts as far as censuses, vital records etc. but would really like to know exactly where In Castleisland they lived.  Thank you so much for your kind offer to help.

Offline dancingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 January 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
in the 1911 Census there was Horans in the townland of KILBANNIVAN, Castleisland. and one was named Daniel. If you look at the 1911 census for Kerry it will give you the names of townlands. Hope this will be of some help to you.

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 January 09 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,
I have limited information on the Horan Family as I have not researched this part of my family.  My late husband always beleived that they came from Co.Sligo.  However, I do know that some of them went to Boston and some came to Scotland.  I also know that they were RC religion. 

Regards,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline dancingqueen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 January 09 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I thought you were searching for Horans in Castleisland! To find anyone in Ireland you will need to know  the County they came from, then the townland or at least the parish name. If you look at this site it may help you trace your ancestors in Ireland. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php
Good luck.