Author Topic: 1841 Census - Rachel Emanuel (Manuel) Amended  (Read 10274 times)

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - Rachel Emanuel (Manuel) Amended
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 16:36 BST (UK) »
Possibly him or a relative?From Crime and Punishment on the NLW website
Thomas Emanuel
Tinker
Date-9th Sept 1800
Parish-Carmarthenshire
Offence-Uttering a counterfeit guinea
Plea-Not Guilty
Verdict-Not Guilty

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
I see that Rachel said her father Thomas was a Farmer.If this was the case he possibly left a will The National Library of Wales has wills online have a look.

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline GuyW

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 17:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks Welsh Lady

Yes, I suppose it could be him although, as you say, the marriage cert from 1855 describes him as "farmer". Perhaps that was just a euphemism.

I see there is also another allegation of a crime the following year by Jemima Emanuel (perhaps another relation):

Accused Jemima Emanuel; Parish: Llandeilo Fawr; County: Carmarthen; Status: Singlewoman
Offence Breaking and entering prosecutor's house with intent, whilst she was in Llandeilo market.
Location and date Parish: Llandeilo Fawr; County: Carmarthen; Date: 13 June 1801
Prosecutor Elizabeth David, Llandeilo Fawr, widow
Verdict Not guilty.

I'll have a look at the wills on the NLW site.

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 19:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - a definite possibility!!
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hello  :)

This thread mentions an Emanuel family, of Wernddu Farm, Ammanford, which is within Llandeilo Fawr registration district.

See Reply #18
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,122112.0.html

Kindest regards
Morgan

Offline NigelG

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 04 October 11 20:01 BST (UK) »
Just noticed the other info - many thanks for that - some definite avenues to look at! FYI the 1851 census names Rachel's mother as Katherine Jenkins & her 2nd (?) marriage certificate states?

"Catherine Manuel (sic) - Rachel's mother (Full age, Widow, Servant - father Evan Thomas, Farmer) married William Jenkins (Full age, Widower, Labourer - father Robert Jenkins, Farmer) - 3rd June 1839 at Merthyr Tydfil Reg Office. Witnesses Daniel Quinlin (the mark of) & Jane Coles (signed)."

The "tinker" mention could tie in with the fact that Rachel & her mother were listed as "Sand Sellers" & the fact that they were living in a desperately poor location in 1851. I just wish I could find Rachel on the 1841 census but they may have fallen through the gaps as they were possibly on the road travelling??

Something else that needs to be noted is the fact that on several occasions there are reports in the Cambrian newspaper index [of the right time frame] of a couple [Daniel, a weaver & wife Rachel Williams]being fined for drunk & disorderly, domestic disturbances, as well as a stint in Swansea Union Workhouse. I visited Swansea Archives but there is no further details of the offences other than the small entries in the actual newspaper .

The Emanuels of Wernddu farm need more investigation but they seem too "posh" to be related to my Rachel!!

FYI Daniel died of dropsy & Rachel died of "Cirrhosis of Liver & general dropsy" at her son Joseph's pub [another son Thomas also ran a pub around the corner from Joseph's] They certainly seem to be an interesting couple - quite proud of them  ;D
Davies, Edwards, Evans, Griffiths, Hughes, James, Jones, Morgan, Nicholas, Powell, Prytherch, Rees, Williams in Glamorgan, Brecon, PEM, CMN & MGY

Biddle, Budd, Clark/e, Davis/Davies, Elliott, Emery, Harper, Harris, Lloyd, Parsons, Phillips, Pitt, Reed/Reid/Read/Rhead, Rogers, Scandrett, Smith, Tyler & Waldron in Staffs, Worcs, Hef, Cheshire, Shrops., Middlesex & Surrey.

Cooghan/Coogan/Cogan - Castleblaney, Co Monaghan

Census Information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk