Author Topic: Tavistock CROSSMAN  (Read 44065 times)

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tavistock CROSSMAN
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 14:42 BST (UK) »
The Devon Record Office has replied:

Robert CROSSMAN and Eliza JAGO were married in church by Banns on 27th November,1835. The vicar was C.A.J. SMITH and the witnesses are given as Margaret JAGO and Bowen TREGIDON (?) - entry in  marriage register of St Andrew Plymouth transcribed by Devon Record Office.

The parents are not named so Margaret JAGO could be mother, sister, aunt or niece of Eliza JAGO.

I think the parentage of Robert and Eliza probably can only be confirmed by finding Wills and Probate/Administration perhaps at Devon Record Office.  It would be worthwhile to look for Margaret JAGO in the 1841 census.

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: JAGO
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi DOB7

I have looked for a Margaret JAGO in the 1841 census and there are two:

Thomas JAGO and Margaret JAGO both aged 40 and both born Devon living in Tavistock DEV

John JAGO aged 40 and Margaret JAGO aged 45 both born Devon and  living in Wellington St Stoke Damerel borough of Devenport

The ages were rounded to the nearest five years in the 1841 census, but I fancy that Thomas JAGO was the father of Eliza JAGO since her son John named two children Thomas Jago Crossman, both died as infants.

Can you find the marriages of Thomas Jago and Margaret likely in Tavistock and John Jago and Margaret maybe in Devonport?

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas JAGO Tavistock
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 April 09 10:40 BST (UK) »
Further to last posting, the 1841 Census shows Thomas and Margaret JAGO living in Back Strret Tavistock which is where Elizabeth Crossman died on 9 Aug 1845.  So it is almost certain that Thomas JAGO and Margaret are the parents of Eliza JAGO.  Glad if you can find the marriage of Thomas and Margaret about 1810-15 likely in Tavistock.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 April 09 13:14 BST (UK) »
Tavistock PRs:
14 Jun 1820 Thomas JAGO = Margaret KINSMAN
Then, Eureka!!!!!
6 May 1817 Eliza KINSMAN base born dau of Margaret KINSMAN, Spinster of Barley Market Street
22 May 1820 Joseph KINSMAN base born son of Margaret KINSMAN, Spinster of Barley Market Street

A Caleb aged 48 & Susannah aged 45 KINSMAN were living at 26 Barley Market Street, Tavistock in 1851. (Their children's baptisms also stated Barley Market St as abode). Presumably, Caleb was a brother of Margaret's.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 April 09 13:19 BST (UK) »
Wait, there's more!!
Brook Street Independent CHapel, Tavistock:
11 Dec 1797 Margaret KINSMAN dau of John & Margaret KINSMAN (born 8 Dec 1797)
9 Oct 1802 Caleb KINSMAN son of John & Margaret KINSMAN (born 2 Oct 1802)

John KINSMAN = Margaret POPE 19 Jul 1789.

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tavistock Jago
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 April 09 13:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks DOB7.  So now we are related to the Pope?

Let's backtrack, you are suggesting that Eliza JAGO, whose baptism you could not find in Tavistock may be Eliza KINSMAN baptised 6 May 1817?  Since Eliza married Robert Crossman in 1835 in Plymouth, I wonder if that is where Thomas Jago was living at the time.  Is there a baptism for Eliza Jago in Plymouth about 1815?

Secondly,  regarding the parents of Robert Crossman, George Crossman and Elizabeth Unknown, can you find a marriage registration in Tavistock 1795-1820 of George Crossman and Elizabeth Croker?  I ask because Robert Crossman named two of his children who died in infancy Thomas Jago Crossman, and another who survived to adulthood, Robert Croker Crossman.

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tavistock JAGO & KINSMAN
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 April 09 15:39 BST (UK) »
Found a posting on Rootsweb Message Board:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.jago/62.79.82.1.1/mb.ashx

Subject: Re: Jago- Tavistock
Date: 19 Feb 2002 12:20:35 -0700

This is absolutely fantastic they are also my ancestors or a line from then Margaret Jago Married Thomas Jago - Margaret was sister to Elizabeth Rosamond Kinsman who married Richard Osborn. I know my tree has gone slightly sideways but it all helps. Thomas and Margaret also had a son called Thomas who married a Dinah Pennington. They had a son called William Henry Pennington Jago and he married Emma Osborn the granddaughter of Elizabeth and Richard Osborn. They all came from Tavistock in Devon and most of them are buried there.

Moderator's Note: email address removed

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 April 09 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thomas JAGO married Margaret KINSMAN in 1820. Margaret JAGO was a witness at the marriage of Eliza JAGO and Robert CROSSMAN. ELiza JAGO was born ca 1817 in Tavistock according to all records. As her mother, Margaret wasn't married until 1820, her 2 illegitimate children (Eliza & Joseph) were baptised under her name KINSMAN in 1817 and 1820 respectively. Robert CROSSMAN obviously gave them his name - whether or not he was the father I don't know - possibly of the boy Joseph as the baptism was only a short period before the wedding in 1820.

The only marriage in Tavistock for a George CROSSMAN is to Elizabeth FORD 4 May 1799.

However, here's some new findings:
Kelly Parish
21 Sept 1803 George CROSSMAN = Elizabeth JAGO
Bridestowe parish
23 Sep 1760 Thomas CROCKER = Mary CROSSMAN

That's all I have time for I'm afraid.

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tavistock JAGO KINSMAN
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 April 09 16:02 BST (UK) »