Author Topic: Tavistock CROSSMAN  (Read 44013 times)

Offline Honeybee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tavistock CROSSMAN
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 April 09 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hi...finally found it! William Gilchrist was my G-G-G Grandfather. I'm particularly interested to see the Australian connection. A deceased relative told me that family members here in Canada used to correspond with family in Australian but I could never find out the 'who'. I'm so pleased to have heard from you and have had many questions already answered. Do you have any idea yet where William's father came from?  Lynne

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 April 09 01:50 BST (UK) »
Joseph GILCHRIST was baptised at Falmouth  27 Jan 1779 (born 5 Dec 1778), son of John & Lucey GILCHRIST.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline Honeybee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 April 09 02:03 BST (UK) »
Delightful!! I am currently vacationing in Florida but when I get home I will update and upload the family tree. I guess we are 'related' through William's son Joseph James (mine) and his daughter Emma (yours).

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 April 09 02:09 BST (UK) »
We're not related at all (although I live in Florida :-)) - I'm merely providing a look-up.

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 April 09 11:05 BST (UK) »
Oh so that's where you both are, Honeybee and DOB7, sunning yourselves in Florida!  Very nice too.  It's not bad here in West Sussex either!

DOB7, the IGI has Robert CROSSMAN m. Eliza JAGO abt 1838 at Tavistock DEV (FHL film 457050) which appears incorrect as they had a daughter Mary or Polly CROSSMAN born on 4 Nov 1836 d/o Robert CROSSMAN & Eliza JAGO at Tavistock DEV (FHL film 457050 & 445897 ref 81616).  All were residing in Tavistock in the 1841 census and Robert and Eiza were born in Tavistock.

Can you find the marriage in parish registers which I fancy would be in about 1835?

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 April 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
I've checked all of the marriage registers for the 20 parishes within the Tavistock Deanery and the 12 parishes within the Tamerton Deanery - they did not marry there. However, I finally tracked them down at Plymouth St Andrew 27 November 1835.
So, using that, I looked for baptisms in the Plymouth area.

Plymouth St Andrew
Eliza JAGO 2 Jul 1820 dau of Thomas & Ann
Stoke Damerel
Eliza Elizabeth JAGO 4 Jun 1820 dau of John & Mary (mariner)
Elizabeth JAGO 16 Apr 1815 dau of Thomas & Elizabeth (shipwright)
Elizabeth JAGO 18 Jun 1815 dau of John & Rebecca (joiner)

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 April 09 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Do you have the full entry in the marriage register of Plymouth St Andrew 27 November 1835?

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 April 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
No, but you can ask the Devon Record Office for a transcript which they will e-mail. http://www.devon.gov.uk/record_office.htm

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 April 09 14:15 BST (UK) »
I believe that Robert CROSSMAN and Eliza JAGEO did have a daughter Mary CROSSMAN  who was born 1835/6 she was with her parents on the 1841 census.  Her death was registered in Tavistock 1843. There was a second daughter Mary (Polly) CROSSMAN who was born 1855 and was my gg.mother. In total Robert and Eliza had 9-10 children.

DOB7
Thank you for the marriage for Robert and Eliza registered at Plymouth St Andrew 1835.

Further to my post 5 Jan 2009.
Is there any chance that a marriage is also registered there for Roberts father George CROSSMAN to 'Mrs Elizabeth Crossman' around 1801?

I sent for the death certificate for Elizabeth CROSSMAN which gives her date of death as 9 Aug 1845 Back Street Tavistock. aged 67 (d.o.b 1778) her husband George CROSSMAN labourer was present at the death. So no further forward to finding her maiden name.

As mentioned previously there were probably two George Crossman's married to an Elizabeth.
(my George) (a) George born 1781 and Elizabeth 1778 on same page as son Robert born 1815 at Brook Street Tavistock on the 1841 census. Their other son John born 1801 was with Richard on the 1851 census.

b) George born 1776 married 4 May 1779 in Tavistock to Elizabeth nee FORD born 1774.

As my George 1781 was with the family 1841 and alive when Elizabeth died in 1845 I believe that the death registered in 1840 was for George (b), and that my George died 1846.

Could you please look at baptism records for George CROSSMAN'S around the dates 1776-1781. I could be wrong but believe that my George (a) parents were John and Joan whereas George (b) parents were William and Ann.

Thanks in advance for any help offered and welcome to all the other Crossman's who have joined in.