Author Topic: brierley Lodge farm  (Read 3044 times)

Offline weed

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
brierley Lodge farm
« on: Thursday 01 January 09 18:50 GMT (UK) »
 :'( I wonder if anyone knows anything of Brierley Lodge Farm I think it comes under the Grimethorpe area but not sure. My late mother was born there in 1909 and my Grandfather was a Farm Labourer. I have been with my husband to have a look but it looked like a ruin one thing I did Notice there was a big house in the distance I wondered if that was where the lord of the manor lived

Offline Doodle

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: brierley Lodge farm
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 January 09 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hiya weed

there is a connection between Brierley Lodge Farm and Ringstone Hill Farm (the one on the hill that looks like a manor house) I will have a poke around I can't remember if there was an underground tunnel connecting them together.

Have you looked on www.commanet.org there are some grimethorpe memories.
or brierleyvilliage website is quite interesting

xx
Hall - Yorkshire, Fleetwood-Barnsley, Smith- Ecclesfield, Davy-Tankersley,Wilson-Sheffield, Holden Thurlstone, Lockwood-Kent,Thorpe- Brierley & Wakefield, Stansfield Yorkshire ? Adshead- Lancashire, Carr Nottingham, Roberts Misson & Mexborough Thorpe- Nottingham,
Holyland-Leicester, Morgan-Sunderland
Myers -Hanover Germany, Tilson -Leicester, Carter Northampton,

Offline jasonclarke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 September 13 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there just stumbled across this post on google my parents now live on brierley lodge farm and are rebuilding the house

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 September 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason,

Welcome to RootsChat :)

How exciting, I wonder how much it has changed over the years ?? Weed do you have any old photographs of the farm from when your family were there ?

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weed

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 15:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason my grandfather on the 1911 Census is down as a Shepherd my mother and a younger brother was born Brierley Lodge Farm but my grandfather was living in Leeds when he died.
A few years ago my husband and myself took a run out in the car to visit the farm and as we were walking up the footpath a gentleman who was coming down on his tractor stopped and we explained why we were there he reversed back up and took us to meet his wife she invited us in and made us some tea and mentioned they were going to rebuild the farm house they had two dogs I believe and on leaving she gave me a couple of Photos one as it was originally and one as part ruin could this have been your parents if so she might recall us as we had Scottish accents
Weed.