Author Topic: 1901 cenus of Ireland  (Read 13034 times)

Offline Diggie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 cenus of Ireland
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:37 BST (UK) »
Reading with interest, the replies above as to how the census forms were collected.

Is it possible that a household in 1901 could be missed out by the enumerators when they came back to collect the form or did they keep going back until they got the form? I have a family who isnt enumerated anywhere in Ireland for 1901, they appear to have filled in a census form for 1911 ok!  ( I have tried  spelling variations of the name, searching by occupation etc etc and all the wildcard searches in each and every county!)

So would there be many families who would not have filled in a census form?

thanks

Diggie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:43 BST (UK) »
It was possible for people to be missed out of the census for various reasons, as I'm sure also happens to some degree with modern census details.

The most common reason for not locating someone on the 1901 or 1911 returns is unusual spelling, or mistranscriptions. People's ages being slightly 'out' can also add to the difficulty..

There are some details missing from the online returns - forms for some townlands/streets have been damaged or lost, others were never filmed so not available to be digitized etc.

Have you searched the 1901 return for the same townland/street as the family appear in 1911 to see if it's available ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 14 June 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
Some returns/areas from census were not originally microfilmed and don't appears online yet. Other places are totally mis-transcribed making them difficult to find online. You can report transcription errors for people but not places on the National Archives website.
For example, the entire Aghadowey D.E.D. is listed as Aghadowney in 1911.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline wildwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 14 June 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
Right.
I'm new to this game and although this has little to do with the origonal post but I would like a little help seeing as there are two moderators contributing here.
A couple of differant questions.
First 
I would like a little input on whether or not the information I have is of any value (not monetary as society seems to value only that) or whether I should just set it on a shelf untill it is published about 2037.
Secondly
How is one to treat or handle the people posting here who are looking for the living relitaves rather than the deceased. Sometimes it is not obvious whether there could have perhaps a little family secret.
Thanks in advance.
kyle, coulter, Jim Bristow. . Tullynahinnion, Finkiltagh, O'sullivan Forthill

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 14 June 12 13:48 BST (UK) »
Secondly
How is one to treat or handle the people posting here who are looking for the living relitaves rather than the deceased. Sometimes it is not obvious whether there could have perhaps a little family secret.

The second question is easily answered- Rootchat policy does not allow posting details or living or possibly living people (this is explained in Help pages), Regarding 1937 resource- many of the people listed could still be living- if in doubt we err on the side of caution.

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 14 June 12 14:02 BST (UK) »
Regarding your first question - it is undoubtedly of great genealogical value as it should mirror the census returns held at PRONI (and closed to public access until 2037).  Publishing details from it could be legally "problematic" , though so I wouldn't put it on a public forum such as this.  You could probably pass on information you have gained as part of you general research - including details confirmed for looking at any (unnamed) source available to you - by PM (or on site, if the people referred to are now dead) ;).

Offline wildwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 14 June 12 18:17 BST (UK) »
Of the people still living in the area there are 11 of the listed names still alive and 3 of those are directly linked to myself.
Anyhow there are a few of the moderators now that understand the information may be available for lets say "private use"
I can see that the moderators are likely to be understanding about who or what should be looked up.
I didnt like the idea that such information would stay hidden untill half way into the century. Never mind the listed names, the offspring are also likely to be deceased by that point.
I understand all to well all about the little things that happen and are hidden from view and that such things should they become public they would cause upset. However we have read the listings from cover to cover and no one can see or understand anything that could be "embarrasing" even by the 1900s standards. After all most of such things would already have been covered up prior to such recording.
Anyhow, it may be available at my grace but will not be leaving the property.
I dont know where you are all from but would I be correct in thinking Aghadowey is local to the area. This being the case maybe Aghadowey might be interested in this more than others.
Thanks in advance

D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 14 June 12 19:02 BST (UK) »
"I dont know where you are all from but would I be correct in thinking Aghadowey is local to the area. This being the case maybe Aghadowey might be interested in this more than others."
Aghadowey isn't near Portglenone  :)

Offline wildwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 14 June 12 19:08 BST (UK) »
Its that far away I go there for electrical gear. Takes near to a week for the round trip. 14 mile