Author Topic: Buying a new PC - advice please.  (Read 8878 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a new PC - advice please.
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 11:50 GMT (UK) »
I've ditched the PC World idea!!

I've never heard anything good about the Cury/Dixon/PCWorld group and your opinions have confirmed that. Also, friend of brother has also said that the Tesco offer (also an HP but £100 less but minus the all in one printer) is much better value - in his opinion, of course.

So, I'm looking to get that one now + a separate printer, just need to finish going through my docs on the current hard drive so that I can - hopefully - transfer them all across.

Now also thinking about a Sky+ box!!! My current theory excuse is that banks etc are giving so little interest on my meagre savings that I might as well spend it!!  ;D

I'm probably falling right into Gordon's cunning plan to make us all spend spend spend but - hey! - I'm rescuing the economy single handed here! Round of applause please!!  ::)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 12:32 GMT (UK) »
You'll love Sky+, Jill..... another gadget that I really could not do without !  If you want to help Gordon out, why not go HD too ?  ;)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 12:44 GMT (UK) »
lol Nick!!!! ;D ;D ;D
we got our Sky HD+ installed on 20th Dec and had a replacement on the 21st ::) long story! but since then... its impressed everyone.  The pre-Christmas install offer is on its way back if anyone is thinking about it.

Jill, think you're making the right choice with the pc. A replacement printer won't cost £100  if you need one.
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 13:11 GMT (UK) »
My new TV is HD ready (I know - more money spent!) but am I right in thinking that you have to pay so much a month extra to get the HD channels? If so, I'll stick to the Sky+ box.  I keep waiting for offers but there don't seem to be any - unless you're a new customer to Sky of course. They never think of rewarding exisiting loyal customers with these offers, do they?

Just fixing the cymbals to my knees and the mouth organ onto the brace round my neck before I take to the streets. Ooops, nearly forgot my kazoo....and my hat (for the money!!)  :D :D

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline DianaM

• RootsChat Member
  • So much Family History, so little time ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
My new TV is HD ready (I know - more money spent!) but am I right in thinking that you have to pay so much a month extra to get the HD channels? If so, I'll stick to the Sky+ box.  I keep waiting for offers but there don't seem to be any - unless you're a new customer to Sky of course. They never think of rewarding exisiting loyal customers with these offers, do they?
Jill

I believe they do offer some good deals if you threaten to leave!  I suggest you call them ....

We've just bought a hard disk recorder with Freeview which does most of what the Sky+ does with no subscription fees and no money going to the Murdoch empire!  It's wonderful ...

Diana
CAVILL (Yorkshire, Lancashire, Pennsylvania), BROWN (Yorks) SCOTT (Yorks) STANLEY (Staffs) TAVERNOR (Staffs) BLAKE (London, Wilts) FOGG (Derbyshire, Manchester)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 14:18 GMT (UK) »

3) Small local suppliers?  I am not sure whether these are so great if you know little about how to tweak settings etc yourself.  My aged mother used a small local supplier to set her up, but they are NOT very good at after sales service and send a lad who really does not know what he is doing.  Every time I visit I spend a half a day sorting out her PC, updating everything and making her security software work properly.  Mind you, I have a local two-man IT firm who are great, and have helped me nurse along my 2 6-year old Dell PC's at low cost (eg replacing burnt out graphics card etc).

Good Luck

interesting - similar experiences - hence opting for Novatech in the end and DIY

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 17:20 GMT (UK) »
They never think of rewarding exisiting loyal customers with these offers, do they?

As suggested by Diana phone them, tell them you were considering Sky+ but are now considering moving elsewhere due to a good offer and see what they offer you.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Already tried that before Christmas and it got me nowhere!! I obviously don't have the knack!!

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 23:23 GMT (UK) »
lol Nick!!!! ;D ;D ;D
we got our Sky HD+ installed on 20th Dec and had a replacement on the 21st ::) long story! but since then... its impressed everyone.  The pre-Christmas install offer is on its way back if anyone is thinking about it.

We got Sky+HD when it first came out, and I love it.   We had to have the box replaced at the end of August last year because it was failing to dial out, (we have two boxes, and you have to have them connected to the phone line). 

Jill - Sky+ HD costs an extra £9.75 a month, and that upgrades whatever channels you have on subscription to the HD equivalents.  So if you subscribe to the movies package, you get the HD movie channels.
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.