Author Topic: Any Surviving Workhouse records in Swansea?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Any Surviving Workhouse records in Swansea?
« on: Monday 19 April 04 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hello does anyone know of any surviving Swansea Workhouse records possibly of inmates i.e: medicals etc.
I am particularly interested in around 1885 (+&-5yrs)

I spoke with Andy Boyt of Glamorgan FHS yesterday he does not know of any such records, none seem to have survived.

I also emailed the archives in Swansea to received no response to date.

If any of you out there are aware of such records in existence for Swansea Workhouse drop me a line.

Kind Regards
Jen :D

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Any Surviving Workhouse records in Swansea?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 April 04 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters

Received a reply from Swansea Archives so thought I would post what records they hold for Swansea Workhouse.

"Swansea Archives hold no admission and discharge registers for this period, but we do hold lists of inmates, which were printed with an annual abstract of
accounts. Details are as follows:

U/S 11/1-3 List of Paupers and Abstract of Accounts, 1872-95:

U/S 11/1 1872-1879
U/S 11/2 1880-1885
U/S 11/3 1891-1895

[3 vols.]"

Please note that there are several years missing until 1891.

To contact us visit www.swansea.gov.uk/westglamorganarchives."

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any Surviving Workhouse records in Swansea?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 September 06 00:04 BST (UK) »
If still of interest my book 'Swansea and the Workhouse' covers the issues but does not list inmates fully (an impossible task). U/S 11/1 does give several snapshots of who was getting indoor/outdoor relief at various times.

You can get the book from the West Glam Archive Service.

Bernard Lewis
Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Any Surviving Workhouse records in Swansea?
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 September 06 02:21 BST (UK) »
See Peter Higginbotham's wonderful site and follow the links for Wales and Swansea to see the list of 1881 inmates: http://users.ox.ac.uk/~peter/workhouse/homepage.html
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk