Author Topic: Speaking Yet: Limavady Presbyterians and Balteagh.  (Read 15775 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking Yet: Limavady Presbyterians and Balteagh.
« Reply #27 on: Monday 17 September 12 11:52 BST (UK) »
Mulvenna,
             The 1796 Flaxgrowers Register lists a Joseph Peery (Perry) in the parish of Balteagh. He was given two spinning wheels.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline mulvenna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 17 September 12 12:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking that up Kingskerswell.

Appreciated.

Gerry
MULVENNA, McGAREL, MATTHEWS, MORROW, GIBSON, ROBINSON, McKAY (Co. Antrim); O'CONNOR, MULLAN, PERRY, CAMPBELL, COWAN, McGUIGAN, HUNTER (Co. Derry); McCRORY, MULGREW (Co. Tyrone)

Offline Judi M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 28 October 22 01:10 BST (UK) »
My Husband's ancestor was the Samuel Loughery on the list of Loughery's. He lived in Maine Balteagh, he was married to Anna McCloskey. The known children I have for him so far is:
 Margaret Loughery b. 18 Aug. 1819, M. William McKay, 13 May 1845 in Balteagh, d. 28 Aug. 1914 in Thornburg, Iowa, USA
George Loughery, b. abt. 1820, m. Elizabeth???, d. 10 Feb 1884 Maine, Balteagh
Ellenor b. 15 May 1827
Mary Loughery b. abt 1829 M. James McKay 25 Oct. 1855,she d. 2 Feb. 1899 in Myroe, Londonderry.

Offline Judi M.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 28 October 22 01:25 BST (UK) »
The William Loughery, on the list in the census in 1831, had a Flax Mill in Drumgavenny in 1858.  My husband's William McKay/ McCay/ McCoy was working in his flax mill and listed on the 1858 Valuation.
This is from a history of Drumsurn:
Loughery’s Mill
The Roe Valley was an important linen manufacturing centre and there were at one time seven flax scutching mills around Drumsurn. Scutching is the process where the woody stalk of the flax plant is broken away from the long linen fibres.
Loughery’s Mill close to Drumagavenney Burn was one of these water-powered scutching mills, which fell into disuse after World War Two. Although the roof has collapsed, the water wheel and some of the original machinery remains, as well as the mill dam.

Cottages for the scutchers were built at the foot of Long’s Lane. They were closely arranged around a square clearing and had their own gardens and orchards. Scutchers were allowed to keep the flax stalks, known as ‘shouse’, to light their fires. Around 1900 the thatched roof of one house caught fire during the night. The fire spread quickly and all five houses were burnt to the ground. Of the families that lived there, only the Mullans stayed in the area.

Offline Alan loughery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 27 January 24 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judi my name is Alan Loughery from Balteagh.  I can possibly help you with some information  on the Loughery line you are looking to trace.

Offline cyclamen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 15:23 GMT (UK) »
I have Lougherys, McQuistons and McKays all from Balteagh in my family tree and would be very interested in making contact.  When you have made three posts you should be able to send me a PM.
Moody, Patton, Hemphill, Haslett, Hopkins, Simpson, Fleming,Walker. Co Londonderry
Simpson, Moody Co Armagh
Walker Co Tyrone, Co Donegal and Dublin

Offline Alan loughery

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 19:11 GMT (UK) »
No problem. Another good source of reference is the book Roots in Ulster soil by the Reverend Mullin. Its long out of print but has family trees of lots of families in the Balteagh area. I have it somewhere. It is mostly about the Mullin/Mullan connection but with marriages etc other families are brought in. There is a tree for Lougherys in it. Will look it out.