Author Topic: Bartholomew family White Colne.Earles Colne  (Read 1571 times)

Offline nicwnacw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bartholomew family White Colne.Earles Colne
« on: Sunday 04 January 09 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Happy New Year to all.

Hopefully you can help me solve a puzzle I have, I can of course send for some certs but this takes time and costs quite a bit, I was hoping you marvellous people would see something I missed:

Amelia Bartholomew b abt 1849 White Colne, dau to Joseph Bartholomew and Hannah Clark,

in the 1851 and 1861 census Amelia is at home with Mum and Dad and she then disappears, however in the 1881 census a child Florence Emma Clayden appears as a grandaughter to Hannah Bartholomew, Florence is born Sep qtr 1878 reg Ongar.

I am assuming that this child belongs to Amelia as she is later found to marry Mr Frederick Clayden in Sep qtr 1899 Romford. Amelia has 2 sisters Matilda and Hannah, hannah marries Mr Higgleton in 1859 there are three children - all born prior to the marriage and may be from a first wife. Matilda goes off to work as a cook/domestice servant but she disappears after 1881 census and reappears living with her mother in 1901 living on her own means.

There were two Amelia Bartholomew births: Mar 1849 Halstead 12 129 and jun 1850 Halstead 12 174, a death is recorded  of Amelia Bartholomew aged 15 in Mar qtr 1866 Halstead 4a 226.

I can find no trace of Amelia after the 1861 census or of Florence other than in 1881.

Can anyone help or is it really a case of certs here?

Thanks for looking

Sandra
Fenn from Denham Bucks and Honeywell from Downton Wilts

Offline Tony45P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bartholomew family White Colne.Earles Colne
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 December 22 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

If you check out the Bartholomew Records in FreeReg, you will find your two Amelia Bartholomews baptised on Sep 23 1849 in White Colne and June 2 1850 (b Apr 2 1850) in Earls Colne, both in the Halstead District.  Parents are Joseph & Hannah and Charles & Hannah.
There is also the burial record for Amelia Bartholomew on Jan 18 1866 age 15.

There is a marriage record in Earls Colne for Amelia Bartholomew (age 19) to James Lawrence on Nov 16 1867 - her father's name is recorded as Joseph.  This is a simpler explanation for why she isn't in the 1871 and subsequent Census records.

I've researched Bartholomews (and Brunnings) in the Colne Area of North Essex because my Maternal Grandmother was Florence Bartholomew (b 1884) who married Golden Brunning in Earls Colne.

Hope this helps

Tony P

Offline Tony45P

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bartholomew family White Colne.Earles Colne
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 December 22 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra
I've just had q quick look at the other people you mention in your post

In my FT, I have a marriage between a Hannah Bartholomew and a John Higgleton in Sep 1859, but this Hannah is the daughter of Robert Bartholomew and Susan Purkis, ch Sep 16 1827 in White Colne.
John was a widower, having previously been married to Lydia Pitchford and having 8 children - which fits with there being 3 children in the 1861 Census - all from the first marriage.  Robert and Susan had a total of 11 children, but not one named Matilda.

However FreeReg does have a Matilda Bartholomew ch Oct 28 1855 in White Colne to Parents Joesph and Hannah - so  you are right about one of Amelia's sisters

With regard to Florence Emma Clayden - her mother's maiden name was Stokes according to the GRO and there is a Clayden/Stokes marriage in 1874 in St Pancras.  I can't find a 1881 census record with Florence and Hannah Bartholomew (or Higgleton) in the same family.

With regard to the Clayden/Bartholomew marriage in 1899 in Romford, I note there was another Amelia Bartholomew b in 1877 in West Ham.  She would have been 22 in 1899, but you would need to get the marriage certificate to confirm her age.

The Bartholomew family can be a bit of a nightmare to research, as I've found to my cost, but I hope this clears up a few anomalies for you

Tony P