Author Topic: McMurrays of Northern Ireland c1790-1825  (Read 6534 times)

Offline constancej6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McMurrays of Northern Ireland c1790-1825
« on: Monday 05 January 09 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I have reached an impasse in trying to find our about where my McMurray ancestors came from in Ireland. I have done extensive research and have found out that my great great grandfather, Samuel McMurray was born in Ireland c1822/23. His father, I believe, was William McMurray, born in Ireland 1799. William had two brothers, John and James also born in Ireland. The emigrated to Bertie Township, Welland County, Canada in the 1820's. William was married to Agnes Adair born in Ireland 1801. I cannot prove that she was Samuel's mother. I do not know whether William married Agnes Adair in Ireland. My hunch is that Samuel's mother died in Ireland. William and Agnes did have 8 children all born in Bertie Township:Joseph, Margaret, Jane, William, James, John, Agnes, Mary Elizabeth. Samuel married Agnes Stevenson in Jan, 1851, in Bertie Township at St. John's church. They had seven children: James (my gr grandfather), Robert , Mary Jane, William, Thomas Alexander, Margaret, and Samuel Franklin. This family is Church of Ireland. John McMurray was married to Margaret Mills. They had one son, James, who was born in Ireland c-1820. Their other children where all born in Canada. My line all ended up in Windsor, Ontario around 1869. Samuel died there on Nov. 21, 1899.

The only lead I have as to the county where my ancestors came from is a note in my baby book written by my father, James Elliott McMurray, stating that the McMurray's came from Londonderry. I need help. Everywhere I look comes up blank.
There must be a way to find the link to the specific county and townland of my ancestors. i would like to find the baptismal record for Samuel. But where to start? Should I hire a professional genealogist?Does anyone have any knowledge about this family? Thank you . Connie (McMurray)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McMurrays of Northern Ireland c1790-1825
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 January 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. For a start I have moved your post to the Derry/Londonderry board in case someone there might be able to help you. It is difficult to find family information in Ulster/Ireland pre civil registration and even more difficult to search for information without a townland.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline constancej6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 January 09 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Okay, moderator. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 January 09 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Could the surname in County Derry also be McMurdy or McMurty?

Let's say Agnes Adair came from the same area in the county,
we could do a surname analysis to see in what areas these
surnames co-exist.

Adair clusters appear in the parishes of Templemore and Clondermott
[near Derry city] in 1831. Neighbouring parish Cumber has a Robert McMurdy in the 1796 Flax returns.

The 1740 Protestant householders' returns has Robert Adair in Artikelly, Aghanloo, Peter Adair in Coleraine; James McMurty in Macosquin and John McMurty in Aghadowey. All these areas are close to each other.

The most common coincidence though of the 2 surnames occurs, however, in
south Derry:
The 1831 census [head of household only] lists Alexander & James McMurtry
in Ballynenagh, Artrea and David McMurdy in Mullagboy, Ballyscullion.
Alexander Adair, Dissenter is in Ballyeglish, Artrea in 1740 and 1766.
John McMurdy, a Prot dissenter in Magherafelt 1766. Jas and Robert McMurdy in Ballyscullion in the 1740 Protestant householders' survey.

Magherafelt Old Graveyard:
Underneath lie the mortal remains of WILLIAM ADAIR died April 1841
aged 62 years.

Here lieth the body of JOHN McMURDY who departed this life 11 June 1759.

Not really helpful but perhaps a start.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 January 09 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Could the surname in County Derry also be McMurdy or McMurty?
The 1740 Protestant householders' returns has Robert Adair in Artikelly, Aghanloo, Peter Adair in Coleraine; James McMurty in Macosquin and John McMurty in Aghadowey. All these areas are close to each other.
Am fairly certain the John McMurty in Aghadowey and James McMurty in Macosquin should be McMurtry- or at least that is the surname used by those families for many generations.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline constancej6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 January 09 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies and research. I am certain the name is McMurray. I like the idea of trying to find clusters of McMurray's and Adair's in Londonderry.  Connie

Offline Hils06

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 March 24 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi  Just seen this post my McMurray,s come from co Armagh and interested to see if any connection .I remember my grandfather tell me 7 brothers came from Scotland and settled in Northern Ireland.

I have some that emigrated to canada as well.Have to say the McMurray family has been hard to trace