Author Topic: helping a newbie!!  (Read 8544 times)

Offline juliah7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
helping a newbie!!
« on: Monday 05 January 09 16:16 GMT (UK) »
 :-\     Can anyone please offer me some tips?

I am trying to find my great grandfather but i have very little info.

His name is John Willie Taylor.He was born about 1870-1871 in Bradford Yorks according to the 1901 census.He married my G.Grandmother Rosa Louisa Outen in 1899 in Grays Essex.According to the marr cert his father was William Taylor who at the time of marr was deceased and his occupation was general laborour.  I have John and Rosa on the 1901 census living in Grays Essex but they are under the name Tyler.I know i have the right people as they also have their daughter Caroline Emily living with them and also either in the same house or next door are Rosa`s parents Frederick and Harriet Outen.  I have checked some of Rosa and /John`s childrens baptism records and it states his name as being Taylor so i assume that Tyler is a mistake by the person who wrote the census.  According to family they all state that John Taylor came from "Yorkshire way".  I have a photo of the man but i am struggling to find his birth record so i can trace his family back.  I appreciate that he may have been born in Bradford but didn`t necessarily live in that part of Yorkshire before he came to Essex.

Can anyone give me tips on how to find his birth record?
Your advice would be gratefully received.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: helping a newbie!!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 January 09 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Taylor    John Willie         Oldham    8d   639 Jun' qtr 1871.........There's this one :-\
Sorry just realised Oldham is in Lancashire :-[
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 January 09 16:45 GMT (UK) »
There's a couple of candidate births shown in freebmd.

One in Oldham district (30 miles from Bradford) jun 1871 and another in sept 1871 Northwich Cheshire.

There's also a Bradford in Lancs..

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Bluie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 January 09 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Heres a possibility 1871 Census Idle near Bradford Yorks
Joshua Taylor Coal Miner Age 27   Eccleshill
Louisa             Wife                 27  Idle
Jesse               Son                  9    Eccleshill
Joseph               "                    6       "
Edgar                "                     4     Rawden
Jane               Daur                  3  Normanton
John William     Son                  1   Eccleshill

Offline juliah7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 January 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hepburn,

Thanks for your help. Every avenue i have tried i have hit a brickwall.I know Oldham is in Lancs but there is always the posibility that he was born there and maybe lived in bradford until he moved to Essex. I know it`s a long shot but one not to be ruled out :-*

Also to genechaser who pm`d me.Thanks for looking,but his father was called William,not John.Your help is very much appreciated.xx

Did they have electoral roles for 1870? If so where do i find them?

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 January 09 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps it would be helpful to try and find a John Willie/iam, with father named William on the 1881 or 1891 census - to verify his age and birthplace? I've tried the 1881 census but Family Search seems to be playing up at the moment. Plus, I suppose his father could have died soon after his birth.

With a reasonably common name like Taylor, it's going to be very difficult to track him down (especially with a first name like John!!) without a bit more to go on. If someone can find him on an earlier census - with a few siblings names included - it would help no end to narrow it down.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 January 09 16:58 GMT (UK) »
hi there here we go:

from A* 1881 census Wortley ,ecclesfield       (bradford is subdistrict of Wortley registration area - see genuki.)

William Taylor    65  Painter,house     Notts, Norton?
Ann taylor         60                             Wortley
Emma                11                                "
John W               10                               "
-----     taylor        5                               Notts,worksop (name not given)
Charles E              4                              Ecclesfield

3 births for 1870 /1871 on freebmd:

John William taylor    jun Q 1870    Bradford   9b/233
         "                       jun Q 1871        "          9b/99
         "                       sept Q 1871       "           9b/86

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline juliah7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 January 09 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi PaulineJ,

Thanks for your help.Maybe it is worth ordering them certificates,at worst it rules then out of the equation!!     Now Bradford in Lancs....... the 1901 census states bradford yorkshire but i must admit when searching different sites some do say Bradford,Lancashire,which i must admit has confused me at times!!   I wonder how far  apart Lancs and Yorkshire are?  I was beginning to think that maybe they are known as both!!   See how mad this is driving me!! :D

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 January 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
We should point out that he is 'officially' WILLIE, ie not WILLIAM on marriage.

I'd suggest looking at all John Willie births on freebmd; killing off as many as possible in the death indexes and seeing who is left...
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.